Menu Tree / MDF Files

Chat, tips, tricks and help for Veteran Sysops
BlaZ

Menu Tree / MDF Files

Post by BlaZ »

I'm pretty sure you can rename modules by changing the .MDF file for it. My question is...how does the menu tree handle references to that module? Will it automatically pick up the new name from the .MDF file? Or will it break any references to that old module name until you manually update the menu page that calls it?

Duckula

Re: Menu Tree / MDF Files

Post by Duckula »

Renaming the MDF does not reflect in the Menu Tree from what I have seen. I tried this when changing Worldlink -> Majorlink so there must be references in the menu DAT file that need to be altered.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

Thanks for replying, and for testing this during our chat in the Teleconference. We determined that any menu tree pages referencing the old module name will break, but will retain any command line options, and can be edited in the Menu Tree Editor to switch them to the new module name.

This is all good news, since the question is related to a project I'm planning where over 200 of my menu tree options will break. If I had to retype all those command lines, it would have been a daunting task. Just having to go in and flip the module to the new name on each will be far less of a hassle.

I'll report back with any issues, if any, that I encounter at that time.

Questman

Post by Questman »

The old MenuMan edition of the BBS allowed for live changes to the menu ... not sure why that was abandoned.

There's a crappy console utility that renames MDF to DMD and this disables the module from loading - but yes, the menu will still show the option and it will say "This option is temporarily unavailable"
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

BlaZ

Post by BlaZ »

Following up here. I was able to rename "Rlogin Client" to "GHost/2 Door" in its .MDF file. All calls to it in the menu tree had to be modified in the menu tree editor to reflect the new module name, but all my command strings remained intact. Changing 200+ items only took about 20 minutes. I can't complain.