Major supports FTN?

A place for new Sysops to meet, discuss their setup and get help.
BadOPCode

Major supports FTN?

Post by BadOPCode »

I'm a total newbie to Major. I have ran and setup many types of BBS's. (Probably a large part of my problem.) This is the first time attempting to mess with Major.
So I've gotten pretty far in setting it up in VM... and I've been pouring through countless docs that I could get my hands on. But one thing I'm not seeing any where is documentation on setting Major BBS to a FiidoNet network. Is this not a thing in Major BBS? It's hard for me to fathom that it's not capable of it. I read the MBBS ad and it says "... and networking tools are available for FidoNet, RelayNet, MajorNet, WorldLink, NetACCESS, and of course INTERNET newsgroups."
So the answer is somewhere out there.

FYI: For people coming from other BBS's this is a zinger. FTN's are like in our checklist to setup before we can call a board setup complete and ready for public consumption. But I guess this was low priority stuff for Major since it's target market was corporations, who would typically have no interest in such connectivity.

Duckula

Re: Major supports FTN?

Post by Duckula »

There is no built-in support for FTN in the core of MBBS, this is a commonly requested feature and is something that we have on our list for a future release.

There were some additional products created by software vendors such as MjrFido for MBBS 6.25 but it is since long gone (no longer sold/licensed).
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

lux

Post by lux »

Duckula wrote:
> There is no built-in support for FTN in the core of MBBS, this is a
> commonly requested feature and is something that we have on our list for a
> future release.
>
> There were some additional products created by software vendors such as
> MjrFido for MBBS 6.25 but it is since long gone (no longer sold/licensed).

This answered what I was looking for. I was looking for the fido module for 6.25
Guess I have come to the right place for all my 6.25 questions.

Questman

Post by Questman »

I'm not sure we have the source code to MjrFIDO either. There was also DBSMail which was better because it allowed Fido tossing into the Forums while the BBS was up - it added an autosense routine for Fido and acted as a FTN mailer too (like Binkley or Frontdoor)
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Questman wrote:
> I'm not sure we have the source code to MjrFIDO either. There was also
> DBSMail which was better because it allowed Fido tossing into the Forums
> while the BBS was up - it added an autosense routine for Fido and acted as
> a FTN mailer too (like Binkley or Frontdoor)

there was a bbs called "Firechat" from Richmond. think they sold to mudcentral i believe.
anyhow they upgraded from VBBS back in like 93ish 94 and they actually were some
kind of hub for a few nets and they ran the actual frontdoor program (press esc twice to connect)