WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

General chat not related to other community topics
Alan

Re: WTB: Major BBS v6.25 and Major BBS TCP

Post by Alan »

QUESTMAN! Your so confusing!!! I want to play Infinity Complex and elywnor sells it for Major BBS v6.25. It works on The Major BBS Free Edition (I've tested it) but without ICO or Virecom I can't get connections by a network to it. You tell me it might work on World Group 2 which at this point I'm willing to try and find out. Theres a World Group for Windows thats also free for 12 users but elywnor doesn't sell Infinity Complex for it. Theres also a non-kosher thing flotaing around thats also Major BBS and everything just works there but I want to do it the right way!

Then you tell me World Group and Major BBS are the same thing?!!?!?! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRG. This is the most frustrating thing and you cant get a straight answer from anybody! Duckman should just bless the other thing and maybe charge for it or whatever and be gone with this insanity!

Questman

Post by Questman »

Because you aren't listening.

Worldgroup was the new name for The Major BBS product. You keep conflating specific versions for generic names.

Worldgroup 1 would have been The Major BBS 7. Worldgroup 2, The Major BBS 8. Worldgroup 3, The Major BBS 9.

This is why this project is releasing the next version as The Major BBS v10. Because that's the next logical version, when you return to the original Major BBS name.

I am the owner of Elwynor Technologies and the main programmer. Hence my replies on Infinity Complex specifically. Another user - Kracken, I think - replied here that he downloaded the installer from my website and installed it onto a WG2 server and it works fine. There should be no reason it doesn't work as well on v6.25, WGv1, and WGv2.

The reason we talk about WGv2 for you is your struggle getting PIPER TCP/IP (which is an IpSwitch product, not a Galacticomm product) to install. PIPER is a pain, because you have to pick the correct drivers for your hardware. With WGv2, the 2nd edition of Galacticomm's ICO is available, which does not rely on PIPER anymore. It's a much better experience for TCP/IP.
Founder, The Major BBS Restoration Project
Owner, Elwynor Technologies ISV
Former Owner, Galacticomm IP (2005-2020)
Contributor, Galacticomm IP baseline

Alan

Post by Alan »

Wow you are Elywnor! It's great to meet you. Your game was the favorite of my friends and I on our "home" Major BBS. We actually played 2 different versions of it from when the BBS was an older Major BBS then upgraded to the same Major BBS as the Free edition is.

Anywho we spent all kinds of time hanging out in our own room, finding parts, and hiding them. Also all the Monty Python references! I bet you are a big fan (and dont like commie cabs LOL)! Can you give us some history and back ground on the game? It's so unique I've never played anything like it and nothing else has matched it!

Questman

Post by Questman »

I am. I cannot take credit for designing the game, as that was done long ago by a fantastic developer. But I am also a Monty Python fan, and also adored Infinity Complex - it was my favorite game too!

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

Alan wrote:
> Wow you are Elywnor! It's great to meet you. Your game was the favorite of
> my friends and I on our "home" Major BBS. We actually played 2
> different versions of it from when the BBS was an older Major BBS then
> upgraded to the same Major BBS as the Free edition is.
>
> Anywho we spent all kinds of time hanging out in our own room, finding
> parts, and hiding them. Also all the Monty Python references! I bet you are
> a big fan (and dont like commie cabs LOL)! Can you give us some history and
> back ground on the game? It's so unique I've never played anything like it
> and nothing else has matched it!

Alan, pm me your problem with internet connectivity. i ran my tele-arena games on dos for many years even after the dawn of the internet and wg3.
i have ran it in some fashion on bbsv6 ad wg2. just played with a mbbs 6.25 install and ico1 and its working.
pm me or contact me on my bbs at bbs.arcticzonebbs.net and lets get you online my man.

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

Thanks Dan, I have just finished doing a tutorial on setting it up in VirtualBox and sent Alan a PM with the details. I will post it in the Announcements section in a bit, thanks for helping.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi y'all! I got the updated archive from Duckman and didn't get the disk.001 error when installing PIPER/IP anymore. After installing, configuring and rebooting everything is working! !!

I do have one question though even though it works and I can TELNET in when it The Major BBS Free Edition boots up it says ERROR: GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT in pink on the Audit Trail. It didn't do that before I install the new ICO with the good disk.001. I tried doing everything again 2 times and it definitely happens after I install ICO but my telnets still work???

I noticed after I installed the new ICO with the good disk.001 and it completed that DOS says WG Bad command or file name. That stinking GALSBBS.EXE got installed with the new ICO again and when I run the EXE it still tries to type WG! Could this be the problem or are there better ways to solve the ERROR: GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT message? It doesn't sound good! It still seems to work but I haven't tried a lot just logging in from my PC and stuff. What does that message mean?

BIG THANKS TO DUCKULA FOR GETTING THE NEW ICO WORKING AND MAKING IT FREE!

PS SCREW VIRECOM TCP!!!!

Questman

Post by Questman »

Just replace GALSBBS with the old one. All GALSBBS does is call a batch file - the ICO one calls "WG" and the regular calls "BBS".

We need more information on the audit trail entry. Go to the audit trail on the console and show us both lines of the output.

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

The GP fault is the first time it tries to initialize the first tcp chanel. It does not seem to cause any issues as when you telnet in, you use that channel and it works fine. I could not see any significant effects created by the error.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner

Duckula

Post by Duckula »

As questman says, dont worry abour the WG wording at the command line. It doesn't actually call anything and can be ignored.
-- Duckula

// Site admin
// Galacticomm IP owner