Trashing the stock htm files

Major BBS or Worldgroup - get and give support here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

racedog

Trashing the stock htm files

Post by racedog »

I would like to just trash the stock html section and start over. I am thinking of putting together new pages and then just using the sizing and referencing for the various sections the user goes to like, tele, or chat or whatever. Essentially I would just be using the stock code for plunking in the necessary stuff and surrounding it with better looking pages.

Would this work? Has anyone done a lot of custom work on the stock htm or better yet has anyone done a full re-write just using what is necessary to make the various areas function? If so, would you mind if I took a look at what you did and how you did it?

And, oh yeah, this is for WG3.3!

R

Stoneslinger76

Re: Trashing the stock htm files

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

racedog wrote:I would like to just trash the stock html section and start over. I am thinking of putting together new pages and then just using the sizing and referencing for the various sections the user goes to like, tele, or chat or whatever. Essentially I would just be using the stock code for plunking in the necessary stuff and surrounding it with better looking pages.

Would this work? Has anyone done a lot of custom work on the stock htm or better yet has anyone done a full re-write just using what is necessary to make the various areas function? If so, would you mind if I took a look at what you did and how you did it?

R
Good luck with the dramcatcher.... hehe.
Keep all your new pages in /wgserv/webpages and /wgserv/webpages/images to start with. Any new pages you create go to webpages (index.htm home page)

If you want to further edit inside GALATCH be very careful. The pages can be difficult to keep functioning especially the file and message areas.
All dirs under GALACTH require the login process. They also link to Java class files wich reside in a diffent dir which I found difficult to get dreamweaver or Frontpage to save the .htm correctly due to the dir stucture of /GALACTH/ vs /WEBPAGE/

Do one area at time, maintain a full backup (the .vir directories are backup also) .
An easy page to start with inside of galacth would be IN:alais setup which is in wgserv/galacth/galalias/galalias.htm

In many GALACTH dirs you will find 2 index files they are for frames/noframes.
indexf.htm = frame version
indexh.htm -no frames

You may want to disable frames and reconstuct all non framed webpages.

GOOD luck!
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

racedog

Post by racedog »

Thanks again, more dumb questions!

Can the WG web server use css? I doubt it but thought I would ask. Can I use flash on the pages?

I've totally forgotten how to edit menus and add and remove menu items, is there somewhere with a tutorial or can I get a brief explanation. Once I get to it I will probably remember it but I'm stumped right now.

R

Questman

Post by Questman »

Yes - the CSS really only is acted on by the client browser, so sure, you can put CSS and JS and Flash in the AHTML pages...

dspain

Post by dspain »

racedog wrote:Thanks again, more dumb questions!

Can the WG web server use css? I doubt it but thought I would ask. Can I use flash on the pages?

I've totally forgotten how to edit menus and add and remove menu items, is there somewhere with a tutorial or can I get a brief explanation. Once I get to it I will probably remember it but I'm stumped right now.

R
yes CSS works as does flash, http://www.quicksilvermbbs.com
thats a site using the GALWEBD and css and flash.
other than that only thing i have ever done to the web structure is began writing a webshell for 3.20 for those wanting it to look like 3.30 w/o the problems that come with it.
would be interesting to see what you come up with.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
racedog wrote:I would like to just trash the stock html section and start over. I am thinking of putting together new pages and then just using the sizing and referencing for the various sections the user goes to like, tele, or chat or whatever. Essentially I would just be using the stock code for plunking in the necessary stuff and surrounding it with better looking pages.

R
Good luck with the dramcatcher.... hehe.
Keep all your new pages in /wgserv/webpages and /wgserv/webpages/images to start with. Any new pages you create go to webpages (index.htm home page)

If you want to further edit inside GALATCH be very careful. The pages can be difficult to keep functioning especially the file and message areas.
All dirs under GALACTH require the login process. They also link to Java class files wich reside in a diffent dir which I found difficult to get dreamweaver or Frontpage to save the .htm correctly due to the dir stucture of /GALACTH/ vs /WEBPAGE/

Do one area at time, maintain a full backup (the .vir directories are backup also) .
An easy page to start with inside of galacth would be IN:alais setup which is in wgserv/galacth/galalias/galalias.htm

In many GALACTH dirs you will find 2 index files they are for frames/noframes.
indexf.htm = frame version
indexh.htm -no frames

You may want to disable frames and reconstuct all non framed webpages.

GOOD luck!
sounds like someone has done some work with the GALWEBD :)

have you found any diff as to using GALACTH and WGSACTH?
seems in WG4 something require a new WGSACTH but GALACTH is dated to the same release as wg 3.12.

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

racedog wrote:Thanks again,

R
WGSRUNMT.EXE in the main bbs dir for menu tree edit, or use the Worldgoup manager client to edit them while online.
Stoneslinger

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

dspain wrote: sounds like someone has done some work with the GALWEBD :)

seems in WG4 something require a new WGSACTH but GALACTH is dated to the same release as wg 3.12.
Oh ya lots of work in thier and I think killed all but one of the dreamcatchers and tweaked most of the pages.
I run 3.20 and am not sure what difference your talking about.
Stoneslinger

racedog

Post by racedog »

dspain wrote:

R
other than that only thing i have ever done to the web structure is began writing a webshell for 3.20 for those wanting it to look like 3.30 w/o the problems that come with it.
I checked out quicksilver and the top flash page comes up but I can't get to anything underneath there. All the menu options end up going to a URL not found page.

I'll start working on it this week and see what I can come up with. When there is enough there to check out I will post it here for others to look at.

Ran the wgsrunmt and the terminal mode menu utility came up and it hit me right away. I remember that! Not saying that I like it but I remember it now and will work with that also.

R

R

dspain

Post by dspain »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
racedog wrote:Thanks again,

R
WGSRUNMT.EXE in the main bbs dir for menu tree edit, or use the Worldgoup manager client to edit them while online.
for the WGSCOLOR.EXE utility contact me for your replacement, i had to redo that one to stop it from crashing.
you only need that if you intend on doing large scale ansi replacements in MSG files.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
dspain wrote: sounds like someone has done some work with the GALWEBD :)

Oh ya lots of work in thier and I think killed all but one of the dreamcatchers and tweaked most of the pages.
I run 3.20 and am not sure what difference your talking about.
3.20 isnt affected, in 3.30 they added alot of stuff that IMO just overbloats it.
the WGSACTH replacement is needed to run alot of the added ACTH modules.
i myself run 3.20 on the WG support site and 3.12 on the tele-arena server.
its only in versions of 3.30 i find alot of really strange things.

dspain

Post by dspain »

racedog wrote:
dspain wrote:

R
I checked out quicksilver and the top flash page comes up but I can't get to anything underneath there. All the menu options end up going to a URL not found page.

I'll start working on it this week and see what I can come up with. When there is enough there to check out I will post it here for others to look at.

Ran the wgsrunmt and the terminal mode menu utility came up and it hit me right away. I remember that! Not saying that I like it but I remember it now and will work with that also.

R

R
i actually began a winGUI program to replace the wgsrunmt in VC 4.5 using the wgsdk and ended up scrapping it before i got too far but it is on my TODO list to replace alot of those offline utilities with gui ones and to reside in their own sub-dor off of a master dir called OFFLINE
you can run it and make changes and it stores it in a tmp file until cleanup in which it is flagged to make the change.

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

dspain wrote: for the WGSCOLOR.EXE utility contact me for your replacement, i had to redo that one to stop it from crashing.
you only need that if you intend on doing large scale ansi replacements in MSG files.
That would be great, I'll drop you a message.

thanks
Stoneslinger

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

dspain wrote: i actually began a winGUI program to replace the wgsrunmt in VC 4.5 using the wgsdk and ended up scrapping it before i got too far but it is on my TODO list to replace alot of those offline utilities with gui ones and to reside in their own sub-dor off of a master dir called OFFLINE
you can run it and make changes and it stores it in a tmp file until cleanup in which it is flagged to make the change.
That would be fantastic, would be nice to have the capability to edit all without takeing the bbs down and then have the changes installed at next maintenance.
Stoneslinger

Questman

Post by Questman »

What's really weird is that early on, you WERE able to build the menusystem online.. in fact, that was the way to do it!

dspain

Post by dspain »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
dspain wrote: for the WGSCOLOR.EXE utility contact me for your replacement, i had to redo that one to stop it from crashing.
That would be great, I'll drop you a message.

thanks
yeah it was wierd the one from WG 3.00 binary packages worked, 3.12,3.13,3.20,3.30,4.00 all crash.
however the source for the one for 3.00 once compiled crashed too, had to make some modifications within the areas where setlatr was called.
but it works, only thing i wanna do now is add ALL the ansi combos.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
dspain wrote: i actually began a winGUI program to replace the wgsrunmt in VC 4.5 using the wgsdk and ended up scrapping it before i got too far but it is on my TODO list to replace alot of those offline utilities with gui ones and to reside in their own sub-dor off of a master dir called OFFLINE
That would be fantastic, would be nice to have the capability to edit all without takeing the bbs down and then have the changes installed at next maintenance.
has anyone tried the active-h menu editor?

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:What's really weird is that early on, you WERE able to build the menusystem online.. in fact, that was the way to do it!
i know you can redo the menus and upload the bbsmnu files and it takes automatically.

racedog

Post by racedog »

This thread had rambled all over the place so I'm going to ask a question that is vaguely related to my original question that started this thread.

Our HAM club has a website that I put up for them and I using WG to add an interactive portion to the website. The WG server will be in a completely different location but the link will take it there from the base site. Right now I'm re-writing the original site and it is using a js script for some of the pages. Will WG be able to use that script or will I need to re-write the top page in WG without the js scripting?

I've decided that on the WG web site that I will disable frame and the main page will be a re-write totally. But, for the rest of the site I will just change the color and add a few graphics from the rest of the site. I think it will be safer and easier that way. I will probably not even use the flash that I made for the main site.

So the question is, will WG be able to use a js script on the WG website?

R

dspain

Post by dspain »

racedog wrote:This thread had rambled all over the place so I'm going to ask a question that is vaguely related to my original question that started this thread.

Our HAM club has a website that I put up for them and I using WG to add an interactive portion to the website. The WG server will be in a completely different location but the link will take it there from the base site. Right now I'm re-writing the original site and it is using a js script for some of the pages. Will WG be able to use that script or will I need to re-write the top page in WG without the js scripting?

I've decided that on the WG web site that I will disable frame and the main page will be a re-write totally. But, for the rest of the site I will just change the color and add a few graphics from the rest of the site. I think it will be safer and easier that way. I will probably not even use the flash that I made for the main site.

R
i want to say yes, i now a few of my customers that run majormud servers have some nice js setups, and i know alot of the remote console and such acth pages are written in pure java (source is lost somewhere)
i would reccomend doing a small page and see how it plays out.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:
racedog wrote:This thread had rambled all over the place so I'm going to ask a question that is vaguely related to my original question that started this thread.

R
i want to say yes, i now a few of my customers that run majormud servers have some nice js setups, and i know alot of the remote console and such acth pages are written in pure java (source is lost somewhere)
I thought the java source was on one of the cdroms locked in that wierd archive program gcomm bought. gunlock or something.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:
dspain wrote:

R
I thought the java source was on one of the cdroms locked in that wierd archive program gcomm bought. gunlock or something.
noone i have spoke with seems to have or even seen it, i traked down the compilers it takes 2 1.1 and 1.14 then hit a brick wall when couldnt find the sources.

The Storm

Post by The Storm »

If this is client side javascript, it shouldn't be much of an issue. If it's something to be processed on the web side, I don't believe it's going to work.

If you need it processed on the server side, you might want to throw up a AMP server, and make calls to it to process the JS, PHP or the like. I've done this and it works well. I'm going to role out my new BBS pages using PHP and WorldGroup all using AMP and the WorldGroup web server.

R
The Storm
DarkStar Development
telnet://thecrazyhousebbs.com
http://www.thecrazyhousebbs.com

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote:
dspain wrote: i want to say yes, i now a few of my customers that run majormud servers have some nice js setups, and i know alot of the remote console and such acth pages are written in pure java (source is lost somewhere)
noone i have spoke with seems to have or even seen it, i traked down the compilers it takes 2 1.1 and 1.14 then hit a brick wall when couldnt find the sources.
isn't that it on the wg 3.0 cdrom?

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

dspain wrote:
has anyone tried the active-h menu editor?
:?: :oops:
Stoneslinger

Questman

Post by Questman »

JS (a/k/a Javascript) is totally different from Java.

There were some Java applet components - I do have the source to them, but I'm not sure how useful they are as Applets are out of favor these days.