Setting up a BBS

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

jvronis

Setting up a BBS

Post by jvronis »

WG 2.0-2 running using Optimum Cable under Windows98 Dos 3comm Ether card 3C905 Card with Packet driver. PC Dell Optiplex GT 100 with 64 meg available.

Installed files, GE Entertainment Pack from 6.2

Netgear Router using port 23 Port with port forwarding.

Serious Telnet Lag except from another PC connected to same router but the menus start to slow down after several viewing several menus

6.2 Gcomm 26 user pack crashses WG 2.0 Where can I get a WG 2.0 version. Does not have to be 26users

Using Ez Soft global s any others worth perusing. Use to have Cheersoft many years ago.
VICTOR G

Drex

Post by Drex »

You may have to do some upgrading, if i found the right model its seems to be a - CPU 1 Intel Pentium(r) III; 533 MHz. I would run above 900Mhz to a 1.2,(min) also need more ram then 64m

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

Drex wrote:You may have to do some upgrading, if i found the right model its seems to be a - CPU 1 Intel Pentium(r) III; 533 MHz. I would run above 900Mhz to a 1.2,(min) also need more ram then 64m
thats funny, the dos mbbs and wg were written on 386 computer and use Pharlap which never uses more than 16 megs of ram.

jvronis

New BBS startup

Post by jvronis »

The processor is a Celron but we are talking about Windows 98 Dos not XP. And I agree that original WG once ran on a 486 very smoothly with slip dial up internet...If that's what it takes to fix the lag I was going to move it over to my other PC to test that theory.
VICTOR G

dspain

Re: New BBS startup

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:The processor is a Celron but we are talking about Windows 98 Dos not XP. And I agree that original WG once ran on a 486 very smoothly with slip dial up internet...If that's what it takes to fix the lag I was going to move it over to my other PC to test that theory.
i am extremely experienced in the worldgroup 2.0 product and as luck may have it the GALGSBL.DLL are readable from both versions.

PM me i'll get ya online in a matter of minutes.

and regarding globals, Global Control has a worldgroup 2.0 version written by me.

dspain

Re: Setting up a BBS

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:WG 2.0-2 running using Optimum Cable under Windows98 Dos 3comm Ether card 3C905 Card with Packet driver. PC Dell Optiplex GT 100 with 64 meg available.

Installed files, GE Entertainment Pack from 6.2

Netgear Router using port 23 Port with port forwarding.

Serious Telnet Lag except from another PC connected to same router but the menus start to slow down after several viewing several menus

6.2 Gcomm 26 user pack crashses WG 2.0 Where can I get a WG 2.0 version. Does not have to be 26users

Using Ez Soft global s any others worth perusing. Use to have Cheersoft many years ago.
define crash, run BBSRIDX and see if any data files are an issue.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:
Drex wrote:You may have to do some upgrading, if i found the right model its seems to be a - CPU 1 Intel Pentium(r) III; 533 MHz. I would run above 900Mhz to a 1.2,(min) also need more ram then 64m
thats funny, the dos mbbs and wg were written on 386 computer and use Pharlap which never uses more than 16 megs of ram.
written on a 286 tested on a 386 :)

dspain

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:The processor is a Celron but we are talking about Windows 98 Dos not XP. And I agree that original WG once ran on a 486 very smoothly with slip dial up internet...If that's what it takes to fix the lag I was going to move it over to my other PC to test that theory.
when you say win98 dos are you forcing it into dos shell BOOT_GUI=0 or restarting in ms-dos mode?

if ya wanna zip up your BBSV6 or WGSERV directory and send it to me i can prolly tell ya exactly what its doing.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote:
written on a 286 tested on a 386 :)
wow, even better. I thought once nate told me it was written on a 386 and never would use more than 16 megs of ram. and thanks to tim's coding and pharlap one dos machine could run 255 lines by itself.
out here we had a system called Multi-comm. he ran over 128 lines on netware with other computers used for development and other stuff. I heard back then his phone bill was over 3000.00 a month. and he charged only 25 cents per credit. he was beta for a few game writers too. al loose I think his name was.

jvronis

New BBS

Post by jvronis »

Upgraded to Optimum boost cant test from home so I have to wait till tomorrow. I telnet in from another BBS and it was slow still.

I have the 26 user lines now how ever useless until I resolve the speed issue.

So now I just need decent global s and some speed....
VICTOR G

frcorey

Re: New BBS

Post by frcorey »

jvronis wrote:Upgraded to Optimum boost cant test from home so I have to wait till tomorrow. I telnet in from another BBS and it was slow still.

I have the 26 user lines now how ever useless until I resolve the speed issue.

So now I just need decent global s and some speed....
also, you know some windows home versions have the tcpip speed capped? they want you to by the pro version.

jvronis

New BBS startup

Post by jvronis »

Would it be best to run this in DOS and get rid of Windows?
Or perhaps Windows 5.0 or 3.0 For Dos? Right now I am using W98 SE
VICTOR G

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

jvronis wrote:Would it be best to run this in DOS and get rid of Windows?
Or perhaps Windows 5.0 or 3.0 For Dos? Right now I am using W98 SE
I guess you missed Despains reply about:

"when you say win98 dos are you forcing it into dos shell BOOT_GUI=0 or restarting in ms-dos mode?"

If your running in win95/98 window mode instead of the dos boot_gui=0 dos mode, you need edit msdos.sys find the line "dos_boot_gui=1" change the 1 to 0. Save reset attributes and reboot. Go to hardware setup be sure "Need to run under windowz/deskview etc is OFF"

I have some pdf's on my bbs that may help you file area isvasolo, its called wgquick.zip http://theswampbbs.net it is a scanned version of the old wg 2 manual quickstart guide, it explains basic settings and how to edit the msdos.sys

Once you have it set up for dos mode boot of win 95, your next challenge is make sure the odi packet driver is loading correctly. (search the forums on odi packet for help)
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

jvronis

New BBS startup

Post by jvronis »

I may have replied directly to him.

I reboot directly into BBS

Config.Sys then Autoexec

I have a bid on a used Dell Pent 4 now. Can this WG run from XP or Boot directly into BBS under XP
VICTOR G

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

jvronis wrote:I may have replied directly to him.

I reboot directly into BBS

Config.Sys then Autoexec

I have a bid on a used Dell Pent 4 now. Can this WG run from XP or Boot directly into BBS under XP
I've run wg2 for a long time.

I'll say that the happiest i've seen it is in a native dos environment. not in a dos shell in windows, not in a vm, it liks direct real-mode os's.

Up until recently, my WG2 server was running on something like an AMD k6-2 266Mhz. Unfortunately that system has died, and now i'm unable to find decent hardware to get my board stable on. It's been running in a vmware vm for a few months, and not working well at all.

But back on topic,
This software just doesn't need a lot of beef.

Personally, i think you're running into network slow downs. I'd get rid of the gui, using win98 with msdos.sys's boot_gui= set to 0 is good, MS DOS 7.1 is also a good choice. Then try it out again.

My system ran 32 lines, in native dos, on 64mb of memory, and a 266Mhz cpu forever, and it worked VERY well.

Before the AMD, i had it on a 486 DX-2 66Mhz, and it was a little slow, but very usable.

Dont let anyone tell you that you need more than 500mhz to make this software work.
<VeNoM>
--
SysOp: The Underground BBS

jvronis

New BBS

Post by jvronis »

Thanks,

I felt the same way but I now a Dell P4 Just over 1 meg memory. The only complaint is the lag. Currently switching name servers from MY.domain.com to Hostways. Just totally stumped why the heavy lag.
VICTOR G

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

What's the external address of your bbs? I'd like to login and try to experience this lag.
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:What's the external address of your bbs? I'd like to login and try to experience this lag.
alot of lag issues on wg2 come from GALICO, major tcp/ip is highly reccomended

jvronis

Stagesbbs/New BBS

Post by jvronis »

The PC is down while they transfer the domain from my.domain.com to hostways. As soon as its up I will advise you. But i can say I logged in from thekeep and It feels like its slower than 2400. I can log in from another pc on same router and its fast then shortly after a few screen it slows up. I pretty much am ruling out PC & Memory and Software. I now run it under Dos 7.

I had Optimum Boost added to cable connection that goes from Cable Modem to Router then splits up to 3 PC. One being BBS.

I don't have the email configured just telnet/DNS There are no modems or Serial connections set up.
VICTOR G

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

What if you are actually at the console? I assume no lag then?

Also, to dspain's comment, are you running MajorTCP/IP? Or the stock galicticom tcp/ip package?
<VeNoM>
--

Stoneslinger76

Re: Stagesbbs/New BBS

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

jvronis wrote:The PC is down while they transfer the domain from my.domain.com to hostways. As soon as its up I will advise you. But i can say I logged in from thekeep and It feels like its slower than 2400. I can log in from another pc on same router and its fast then shortly after a few screen it slows up. I pretty much am ruling out PC & Memory and Software. I now run it under Dos 7.

I had Optimum Boost added to cable connection that goes from Cable Modem to Router then splits up to 3 PC. One being BBS.

I don't have the email configured just telnet/DNS There are no modems or Serial connections set up.
You may to try some varations on "System Polling Rate" (hardware setup) Auto, 38400, etc..
If your in dos mode be sure "Need to run under Windows, Deskview, etc" is NO.
You may also need to check nram version in your router, be sure its upto date and check all is being forwarded to the correct ip.
Stoneslinger

jvronis

New BBS

Post by jvronis »

No windows installed on PC. Installed MS-Dos Dos 7.1
VICTOR G

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

jvronis wrote:No windows installed on PC. Installed MS-Dos Dos 7.1
Right, but in the system's config, i thing in general setup, theres an option the reads "Need to run under Windows/Deskview" or something. Be sure that's set to No, if you're not running in windows.
<VeNoM>
--

jvronis

New BBS

Post by jvronis »

Thanks, That has been off.
VICTOR G

dspain

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:Thanks, That has been off.
if everyone is connecting fine and just lagging thats just GALICO
it even lagged back when it cost $995

Major TCP/IP will elminate the lag i guarantee it.

jvronis

New BBS

Post by jvronis »

Were do i get major TCP/IP ?

ALso I have it up as stagesbbs.net if you want to still log on.

Thanks
VICTOR G

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

I dunno man, i just logged into your board, and played a game of supernova. No lag at all. Very fast. Have you done something to resolve it?

Nice ansi's btw, I thought i was the only one left that cared about decent ansi menu's. :)
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:I dunno man, i just logged into your board, and played a game of supernova. No lag at all. Very fast. Have you done something to resolve it?

Nice ansi's btw, I thought i was the only one left that cared about decent ansi menu's. :)
i lagged horribly. trace your routes see how many hops you do, i do like 13.

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

I get 14 to his ISP's UBR. Which should be the last hop before you hit his premises. Half of those hops are getting from me, to the internet though, all local equipment here at my office. I get to hop 6 before i'm actually hitting the internet.

I also don't see high latency on any hop between Me and there, did you see anything with a response time of more than a few ms?
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:I get 14 to his ISP's UBR. Which should be the last hop before you hit his premises. Half of those hops are getting from me, to the internet though, all local equipment here at my office. I get to hop 6 before i'm actually hitting the internet.

I also don't see high latency on any hop between Me and there, did you see anything with a response time of more than a few ms?
yeah i was totally screen frozen for 1--12 seconds at a time, however this is normal using win telnet and galico.

ill get his setup with mtcp.

jvronis

New BBS

Post by jvronis »

I'm glad you like the Ansi. Stopped messing with it while I figure out the lag issues.

I was ready to jump ship on this whole project. But I am feeling a little better that somebody was able to get in fast.

I updated both accounts to have regular access.

I will try logging into system using ZOC from work tomorrow. I have only tried windows terminal. I have tried going in via The Keep telnet out and had bad lag.

I have a licensed version vircom software and would have used it with Gcomm 6 non WG version. But I don't know how to configure the internet now that I am using cable internet service. I miss the old Modem days!
VICTOR G

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

vircomm majortcp ip isnt hard to setup. I use it on my WG2 board. You do have to remove the stock ip setup first though, or things get.... Confusing.
<VeNoM>
--

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

Wow.. I just logged in from home here, and the lag is indeed horrid!

VPN'd back to the office, and telnetted back into your board from my linux box there, and all is perfect.

My traceroute also takes an entirely different route from the office than it does from home.

I dont think you're dealing with a config problem, but a problem at your ISP, or further out.
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:I'm glad you like the Ansi. Stopped messing with it while I figure out the lag issues.

I was ready to jump ship on this whole project. But I am feeling a little better that somebody was able to get in fast.

I updated both accounts to have regular access.

I will try logging into system using ZOC from work tomorrow. I have only tried windows terminal. I have tried going in via The Keep telnet out and had bad lag.

I have a licensed version vircom software and would have used it with Gcomm 6 non WG version. But I don't know how to configure the internet now that I am using cable internet service. I miss the old Modem days!
major tcp/ip is really easy.

install it, set channel to TELNET set gateway to your router ip as well as dns servers 1 and 2, set your IP address press 5 to go online.

autoexec.bat:
CD\NIC
LH LSL.COM
LH 3C90X.COM (odi driver)
LH C:\WGSERV\ODIPKT.COM
lh 3C90XPD.COM /I=0x69 (packet driver)

config.sys:

FILEs=50
BUFFERS=15
STACKS=16,256
DEVICEHIGH=ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=HIMEM.SYS

reboot

telnet in.

jvronis

Stagesbbs/New BBS

Post by jvronis »

Any reason you load ODI and Packet driver? I only load packet driver.

I will switch back to original BBSV6 or just make a copy of WG 2.0 and try that. Over the weekend.

I tested going online today from ZOC and it was same Lag on current setup as Windows terminal.
=============================================
On another subject.
Oddly BBSV6 worked fine with my null modem cable bug WG 2.0 doesn't.
work at all. Its probably the way the wires are crossed over.

But when I log via telnet from same router I connect fast then after a short time it stalls when loading screen text from outputs like menus or game responses then if I hit the enter it jumps ahead then starts pausing again.
Almost like a buffer is full.
VICTOR G

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

jvronis wrote:Any reason you load ODI and Packet driver? I only load packet driver.

I will switch back to original BBSV6 or just make a copy of WG 2.0 and try that. Over the weekend.

I tested going online today from ZOC and it was same Lag on current setup as Windows terminal.
On another subject.

But when I log via telnet from same router I connect fast then after a short time it stalls when loading screen text from outputs like menus or game responses then if I hit the enter it jumps ahead then starts pausing again.
You need odipkt.com, the lan card packet driver and the lan card driver. It will never work right without them. You may need to tweak net.cfg 's buffer settings a bit once you have the drivers loading properly.
Stoneslinger

dspain

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:Any reason you load ODI and Packet driver? I only load packet driver.

On another subject.

yeah it wont work right without all 3 working. someone said they did it w/o LSL once.

i used to run it under lan manager before going the win98 route and it had lsl.com preloaded so when i converted over i took it with me.

jvronis

New BBS STAGESBBS

Post by jvronis »

I installed all the 3C90x.com & WG ODIPKT and when i log in from the Keep its much better. The Keep had major lag but Stagesbbs was slow but steady at least.

If any of you guys can log in and let me know what you think. I have not done anything with Vercom install yet. 3-15-2010

Question do I maintain the settings for WG 2.0 as I have them now? And you also mentioned I my have to adjust some buffers? I don't have a lot of experience with the ODI config.

Many Thanks for the support!
VICTOR G

dspain

Re: New BBS STAGESBBS

Post by dspain »

jvronis wrote:I installed all the 3C90x.com & WG ODIPKT and when i log in from the Keep its much better. The Keep had major lag but Stagesbbs was slow but steady at least.

If any of you guys can log in and let me know what you think. I have not done anything with Vercom install yet. 3-15-2010

Question do I maintain the settings for WG 2.0 as I have them now? And you also mentioned I my have to adjust some buffers? I don't have a lot of experience with the ODI config.

Many Thanks for the support!
to be safe run galicoin and set to NONE
then run INSTALL from the major tcp/ip package

jvronis

New BBS STAGESBBS

Post by jvronis »

Not so simple...

If I leave the interupt in TCPLIB-INI to 0 I get an error Only Ethernet or Slip packet drivers allowed. If I set to 60 its not found. 0x3C cant be entered. Shutting down will try again in Morn!
VICTOR G

Stoneslinger76

Re: New BBS STAGESBBS

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

jvronis wrote:Not so simple...

If I leave the interupt in TCPLIB-INI to 0 I get an error Only Ethernet or Slip packet drivers allowed. If I set to 60 its not found. 0x3C cant be entered. Shutting down will try again in Morn!
Sounds like the ethernet card is on a non standard IRQ/mem handle. You should be able to set it from a clean dos boot (boot disk requiered no mem or drivers) Then run 3C90XCFG.EXE (in your c:/3c905xxx/dosodi directory)
the config will show what mem handle and IRQ your running on. You should be able to find the mem address in their. If you must change it you will have to try cmos irq config change first, if not switch bus slots then check/config(try 5, 7, 9) irq in cmos, then back to 3c90xcfg to confirm mem address. You may need to change the bus slot the card is in, also remove any non esential cards in the computer ei ***sound***, comport, **usb**, *printer*, port cards.

Total pain ye butt yes I know, for some help on the diags see the readme in your 3com driver dir.

Once you have that set edit the net.cfg found in the nwclient dir of 3com drivers, move it C: or where the packet/lsl/3c90xxx are located . Their is help listed inside the net.cfg.

You will see message confirming each loaded at startup when it works. Then fire up WG.
Stoneslinger

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

I really wonder what tangent we're travelling down.

odi drivers are specific to neware, no? I do not, and have never, run an odi driver with vircom.

I've got a very simple autoexec/config.sys, which load the essential dos drivers (like himem, and whatnot) set files to 127, and load my packet driver 0x60.

My board has been happy like that.. well.. forever.

I don't even have odi drivers present on my system.

I will add that i'm not running a 3com card. Which i guess could make a difference, but i cant imagine how...
<VeNoM>
--