high society bbs - how long it been down?

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Malakai
high society bbs - how long it been down?

Post by Malakai »

I've been trying to connect to high society bbs for about a month and nothing.. how long has it been down, and is it down for good?

Rigoletto

Post by Rigoletto »

The BBS has been down since sometime mid March as the last time I was able to connect was 3/3 when I logged on to keep my Swords player active. That level 41 player has since gone bye-bye. Sigh.... :cry:

From emails I have had with Questman, the BBS had a hardware failure, and the sysop has been doing a lot of traveling due to his job. He is also supposed to be building the server box for Questman, so that Elwynor and Dreamline can come back online.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Thanks for the update. Yeah, it's too bad about SOC. The win nt version doesn't keep your character available for very long when you don't/can't log in to the board. The DOS version keeps it for as long as a year, but SOC in DOS is a resource hog like MajorMud. If I had another DMA server (or 2) I'd probably run SOC in DOS just because of the play deletion stuff though.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Rigoletto wrote:The BBS has been down since sometime mid March as the last time I was able to connect was 3/3 when I logged on to keep my Swords player active. That level 41 player has since gone bye-bye. Sigh.... :cry:

From emails I have had with Questman, the BBS had a hardware failure, and the sysop has been doing a lot of traveling due to his job. He is also supposed to be building the server box for Questman, so that Elwynor and Dreamline can come back online.
if ya want you can play SOC on my server azonebbs.dyndns.org

dspain

Post by dspain »

Malakai wrote:Thanks for the update. Yeah, it's too bad about SOC. The win nt version doesn't keep your character available for very long when you don't/can't log in to the board. The DOS version keeps it for as long as a year, but SOC in DOS is a resource hog like MajorMud. If I had another DMA server (or 2) I'd probably run SOC in DOS just because of the play deletion stuff though.
has anyone gone thorugh all those configs and seen if there was an inactivity optiopn anywhere?

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

There are config options on both versions, but the max on dos is 365 days, and nt, i'm not sure - maybe 40 days or so... There isn't an option, as far as I can see, to disable it.. .maybe some one needs to make a patch for it. I lost my own character last year because of it as well.. SOC is a fun game, but there are times when I don't play it but every six months or a year or more...... I would like for my character to still be there 10 years from now lol

Rigoletto

Post by Rigoletto »

dspain wrote:
Malakai wrote:Thanks for the update. Yeah, it's too bad about SOC. The win nt version doesn't keep your character available for very long when you don't/can't log in to the board. The DOS version keeps it for as long as a year, but SOC in DOS is a resource hog like MajorMud. If I had another DMA server (or 2) I'd probably run SOC in DOS just because of the play deletion stuff though.
has anyone gone thorugh all those configs and seen if there was an inactivity optiopn anywhere?
Malakai: The default settings for the game regardless of whether for DOS or NT is 90 days if running v4.17. Some Sysops want a current userbase in the game and have it less than default to encourage users to call more often to keep their player alive. Which really sucks for two reasons. First is if it is not documented anywhere, after spending a lot of time getting a character started in the game. Second if there is a hardware malfunction, and the Sysop doesn't set the date back (when restarting the BBS for the first time after fixing the hardware.) in order to get the setting changed long enough to get his/her users back. Others lengthen it to get more users in the games database, but that does not really encourage more activity as it is another way of saving the game if hardware fails, and if its set to long the chance of corruption in the players database file sets in like on TLS. I used to have a level 10 player in your game, but when your BBS disappeared in June 2007 with no warning. It kind of soured me from wanting to try again. I keep a spreadsheet of all my players in all the games I play. If your willing to restore the stats. I'll think about it. I see that you have posted a reply while I have been working on this one.

dspain: The setting is in the level 4 commands, its called INACTDYS. I do have a player in your game of Swords, currently only a level 5 but soon to get bigger. Spreading my time between 13 games is a challenge. :!: BBS's come and go and I try to spend most of my time trying to get the smaller players up to the level of the bigger ones before I move them all together. I found your game and 4 others less than 2 months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most popular games are the ones that have the easiest settings, require the least amount of exp to gain stats, require the least amount of learning about the game and have the most morphing monsters editted into the game. Gee maybe thats one reason I don't play there. :twisted:

Rigoletto

Post by Rigoletto »

Malakai wrote:There are config options on both versions, but the max on dos is 365 days, and nt, i'm not sure - maybe 40 days or so... There isn't an option, as far as I can see, to disable it.. .maybe some one needs to make a patch for it. I lost my own character last year because of it as well.. SOC is a fun game, but there are times when I don't play it but every six months or a year or more...... I would like for my character to still be there 10 years from now lol
Have a couple level 41's in games I haven't actively played in more than 2 years, yet I log on every 30 days or so just to keep them alive while I work on my smaller players. :roll:

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Well, I manually added back your character, based on old backups, but the problem is that I don't have your items back. All items are in the database, but some of the level adjustments don't go as high as some of the items you had instock. For example, I tried to replicate your "an iron bug body (29 +1) and the highest level it would go to in the editor was 15.

If there was an easy way to blend/restore about three generations (backups) of SOC players, it'd be fine, but my largest database of players was before you started playing. So, I'm going to slowly start to manually adding players back into the database. Of course, they're going to have the same item problems, but at least their characters will be there if they still want to play.

If you still want to play on the board, you now have gameop access in SOC at least until you can find some suitable items.

Rigoletto

Post by Rigoletto »

If we're going to keep talking about Swords of Chaos, maybe it should get moved to that topic of mine in 'The Chat' area.

Thanks Malakai. I don't worry about replacing items, when restoring a player. Its the stats and spells that required the most work in the first place. The rest just comes from exp of knowing where to go and what to do.

repstein

High Society up ..

Post by repstein »

Folks,

High Society BBS is finally back up.

telnet://highsocietybbs.com

(hs.host.net and hs.hostleasing.net still work as well).

Sorry it took so long. Life just took priority over the BBS. It was down since March of 2009. :(

I'm also setting up a WL hub this weekend, so hopefully we'll get that back up as well for all the other WL systems interested in interconnecting again.

Regards,

Randy

Glowingwind

Re: High Society up ..

Post by Glowingwind »

I tried, just now, but no workey.

:cry:

repstein wrote:Folks,

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

Glowingwind wrote:I tried, just now, but no workey.

:cry:

repstein wrote:Folks,

Worked for me :D
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

Glowingwind

Post by Glowingwind »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
Worked for me :D

Ok, it works now - It must've been Internet monsters.

Although, apparently my FL Cleric's inventory got upgraded to Gaelic? Or is that Sumerian?

"The Forbidden Lands (Ver. 2.20)
Book 1: The City of Falchon
(C) 1990 by Computel

You're in the Hall of Passage.
Exits: n, e, w, d
There is nothing on the ground.
>stat
Invalid command.
>inv
You are carrying some ¼  âδ$ΦäR, some ╧Qï╞└ìÇìò£■  ┬PΦÖ½, an |Φê>"

:shock:

Doh.