Virtualizing, on kvm. So far so good.. One snag.

Major BBS or Worldgroup - get and give support here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

VeNoM

Virtualizing, on kvm. So far so good.. One snag.

Post by VeNoM »

So, I've done a lot of work with KVM (qemu), and its an excellent virtualization platform for _current_ os's. However, i'm trying to run Dos 7.1 and WG2 on it, and i'm running into a little snag.

The board runs! I have networking, telnet accessibilty, and its quite usable. The problem is, whenever the board attempts to shut down (even for cleanup) it hangs my vm. I have to ctrl-alt-delete, or power off the vm, and power it back on.

It also does this when i try to run cnf. I can make my changes, and then once i exit cnf, it hangs. Even if i just run cnf.exe from the command line, it hangs as soon as it exits.

So, what the heck is going wrong here? Any suggestions? I know this is sort of a niche issue, but any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm currently playing around with cpu types, to see if it's, maybe, a cpu emulation problem.

If this works out, i may be able to bring my old board out of moth balls, which would be pretty damn cool!

Thanks!
<VeNoM>
--
SysOp: The Underground BBS

Stoneslinger76

Re: Virtualizing, on kvm. So far so good.. One snag.

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

VeNoM wrote:So, I've done a lot of work with KVM (qemu), and its an excellent virtualization platform for _current_ os's. However, i'm trying to run Dos 7.1 and WG2 on it, and i'm running into a little snag.

The board runs! I have networking, telnet accessibilty, and its quite usable. The problem is, whenever the board attempts to shut down (even for cleanup) it hangs my vm. I have to ctrl-alt-delete, or power off the vm, and power it back on.

It also does this when i try to run cnf. I can make my changes, and then once i exit cnf, it hangs. Even if i just run cnf.exe from the command line, it hangs as soon as it exits.

So, what the heck is going wrong here? Any suggestions? I know this is sort of a niche issue, but any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm currently playing around with cpu types, to see if it's, maybe, a cpu emulation problem.

If this works out, i may be able to bring my old board out of moth balls, which would be pretty damn cool!

Thanks!
Sounds like the qemu is ending the session when wg shuts down for maintenance. You may want to try to set it so btreive is the program running in the qemu window/enviroment and not WG. Be sure to set Btrieve to stay loaded always, "System Resources" -->"Allocate Startup" and "Back to minimal state if inactive". I am assuming this would leave you with Dos promt to start WG or CNF. With btrieve being the running program qemu will not detect WG shut down and close the enviroment window.
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net