Tele-Arena 5.6f, with TA Gold world, BETA!

Tele-Arena GOLD, Tele-Arena II, and new Tele-Arena games.

Moderators: Questman, Mod Squad

VeNoM

Tele-Arena 5.6f, with TA Gold world, BETA!

Post by VeNoM »

After much work, and headache, We've got the Tele-Arena I (5.6f) From Elwynor Technologies up and running the The Underground BBS! This is considered Beta, and needs players familiar with the TA Gold (stock gold) world to login, and give it some playtime.

This game engine based on the original source, not a re-write.

The Underground, though recently back from retirement, is a long established board, with decent uptime. Run by a professional System Administrator, on a dedicated server. We should be here when you're ready to play. ;)

Some things we know of already that aren't working well.

It seems that Arena's other than T1 are not working.

Resting status seems a little buggy.

telnet://bbs.undrground.org

Login, give it a shot! Option 1 in the games menu.

Please post bug reports over on my forums.
http://www.bbs.undrground.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Last edited by VeNoM on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<VeNoM>
--
SysOp: The Underground BBS

Vector

Post by Vector »

Been fun playing again. Might be fuzzy on how this works, but "restoration" seems to be buggy.

I walked away from the terminal at work and died of thirst, resurrected my character. Had a stat penalty. Bought restoration and I believe it only restored one of my stats. It didn't restore Intellect and Knowledge for sure. It did restore Agility.

The death log would likely have the details.

Thanks for bringing it back! :) I'll be playing some this weekend to beat the heat.
--- Vector (aka Dave)
--- Starbase 21 BBS (formerly The MainStay BBS)
--- telnet://bbs.starbase21.net

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

Played with Vector for about an hour tonight. Very playable game. Ran into a few differences, not necessarily bugs, just differences.

You use torches now rather than light them..
<VeNoM>
--

OhASys

Post by OhASys »

Very cool news guys! This one has been a long time coming.

I'll do my best to help the testing process :)

OhASyS - pheedom.net

Questman

Post by Questman »

Yes. This is not the v5.6c code that is available on the Internet nor the 5.6d source that was the basis for the popular 5.6d "gold" edition that people know of. It's a later iteration of the same code. Tele-Arena II exclusively used this code base, but the BBS world died before TA1 world was implemented on this code. There are differences -- the code is more robust and there are new features and more complexities in existing features.

Hence the version - it's essentially the same as v5.7 (which was the basis for TA II) but with a few "downgraded" features intended to support the existing TA1 world format so people can play TA1 Gold, or their own custom maps.

I'm aware of the ring gong issue - I wanted to get the maps playable before touching those routines.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:Yes. This is not the v5.6c code that is available on the Internet nor the 5.6d source that was the basis for the popular 5.6d "gold" edition that people know of. It's a later iteration of the same code. Tele-Arena II exclusively used this code base, but the BBS world died before TA1 world was implemented on this code. There are differences -- the code is more robust and there are new features and more complexities in existing features.

Hence the version - it's essentially the same as v5.7 (which was the basis for TA II) but with a few "downgraded" features intended to support the existing TA1 world format so people can play TA1 Gold, or their own custom maps.

I'm aware of the ring gong issue - I wanted to get the maps playable before touching those routines.
i think i sent you some code years ago that will work, and not just work but allow arenas to be added via TAEDIT without having to hardcode rooms 2,28, and 47.
if you want i can submit it again, keep in mind you may have to modify some things so adjust to the structure corrections but the changes would be very minor.

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

dspain wrote:
Questman wrote:Yes. This is not the v5.6c code that is available on the Internet nor the 5.6d source that was the basis for the popular 5.6d "gold" edition that people know of. It's a later iteration of the same code. Tele-Arena II exclusively used this code base, but the BBS world died before TA1 world was implemented on this code. There are differences -- the code is more robust and there are new features and more complexities in existing features.

i think i sent you some code years ago that will work, and not just work but allow arenas to be added via TAEDIT without having to hardcode rooms 2,28, and 47.
if you want i can submit it again, keep in mind you may have to modify some things so adjust to the structure corrections but the changes would be very minor.
I never did get why Sean hard coded the arena's id's. i'd hacked about that in the 5.6c source i had. Seemed like a horrible way to handle arena's. Getting that data into the world data would be awesome.
<VeNoM>
--

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:
dspain wrote:

I never did get why Sean hard coded the arena's id's. i'd hacked about that in the 5.6c source i had. Seemed like a horrible way to handle arena's. Getting that data into the world data would be awesome.
well in my engine i fixed it a very nice way and i am hoping Rick can add it into his with no issues, in TAEDIT when you set an arena the "LEVEL" you set is the terrain id of the monster to spawn.

so its basically:

if((margc==2) && ((x=arena(lc))!=0) &&
((sameas(margv[0],"ring")) || (sameas(margv[0],"ri"))) &&
((sameas(margv[1],"gong")) || (sameas(margv[1],"g"))))
{
return(ring((tlchan-ARNSUB),x));
}

this will call the ring function with the proper room number and terrain number.

then all ya do is open taedit and under shops change:

Arena in room 2 to level 1
Arena in room 28 to level 108
Arena in room 47 to level 1964

and of course change the arena(int loc) function to return the level of the shop