MegaMUD registrations... I have users who want to register

Major BBS or Worldgroup - get and give support here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Iceman

MegaMUD registrations... I have users who want to register

Post by Iceman »

Well I have tried with countless rejected emails, wrong phone numbers, and lost trails from where others have directed me... so I'm hoping someone knows who wrote MegaMUD, and how to get a hold of the guy...

I have a user or two every week asking me how to register the program because they can't get any response from metropolis... so I want to try and find them an alternative when they really want to pay for it.

If by some chance the author of the program is reading this... I would like to throw out a possible suggestion... if you could release an "updated" version which might be nothing more than window dressings, that can change the register at mudmarket button to possibly a "donation" button through paypal directly to you? Maybe just have the program nag them unless its registered versus disable the program? I don't know how much time you want to spend with individual registrations but perhaps a donation link to a paypal might keep you from dealing with that but getting something since people still want to use it.

I know they almost always end up using the cracks... but I think making it easy to just donate something to a program they enjoy, might provide some surprising results... I mean if people are willing to throw down $45 to metro which won't even answer their emails, maybe you could get half that directly without having to process registrations and just take donations after you make a slight change to the registration process??

Just an idea, please someone if you know who the author is I'd like to chat with him for just a few minutes to try and find users a solution... with 200 people almost every night, I've got a steady flow of users coming and going and I'm surprised myself how many emails I get asking how to register when they hit road blocks... lets remove the road block and get the author the credit deserved for a program they still love to use.

Toyduck

Re: MegaMUD registrations... I have users who want to regist

Post by Toyduck »

Iceman wrote:Well I have tried with countless rejected emails, wrong phone numbers, and lost trails from where others have directed me... so I'm hoping someone knows who wrote MegaMUD, and how to get a hold of the guy...

I have a user or two every week asking me how to register the program because they can't get any response from metropolis... so I want to try and find them an alternative when they really want to pay for it.

If by some chance the author of the program is reading this... I would like to throw out a possible suggestion... if you could release an "updated" version which might be nothing more than window dressings, that can change the register at mudmarket button to possibly a "donation" button through paypal directly to you? Maybe just have the program nag them unless its registered versus disable the program? I don't know how much time you want to spend with individual registrations but perhaps a donation link to a paypal might keep you from dealing with that but getting something since people still want to use it.

I know they almost always end up using the cracks... but I think making it easy to just donate something to a program they enjoy, might provide some surprising results... I mean if people are willing to throw down $45 to metro which won't even answer their emails, maybe you could get half that directly without having to process registrations and just take donations after you make a slight change to the registration process??

Just an idea, please someone if you know who the author is I'd like to chat with him for just a few minutes to try and find users a solution... with 200 people almost every night, I've got a steady flow of users coming and going and I'm surprised myself how many emails I get asking how to register when they hit road blocks... lets remove the road block and get the author the credit deserved for a program they still love to use.
Here are a couple of links detailing the trademarks and company that owns them (Gameport, Metro, plus a few more)

http://www.trademarkia.com/majormud-75731103.html

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-ms-e ... 9-page-1-2

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Toyduck wrote:
Here are a couple of links detailing the trademarks and company that owns them (Gameport, Metro, plus a few more)

Those are for MajorMUD... I'm looking for MegaMUD... the telnet client people download to play the game for them automatically while they are away.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

Iceman wrote:
Toyduck wrote:

Those are for MajorMUD... I'm looking for MegaMUD... the telnet client people download to play the game for them automatically while they are away.
Understood. The last I heard was Merlin was pretty adamant about not accepting emails; so I though perhaps you could get an answer from the Metro owners, since they still list on one of their sites a registration screen for MegaMUD.

Sorry.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Toyduck wrote: Understood. The last I heard was Merlin was pretty adamant about not accepting emails; so I though perhaps you could get an answer from the Metro owners, since they still list on one of their sites a registration screen for MegaMUD.

Sorry.
Yeah I heard the same, thats why he disappeared so effectively from old emails heh... I heard he had been working on a new client program entirely, but that seems to have dropped off... just trying to get the guy some paid credit for past work with a little window dressing of an upgrade to change how the payment is directed.

Well if anyone reads this and knows him personally, see if he'd want to give it a go or not... or if he's reading this hey are you interested?