Anyone gonna Open Source this yet?

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

WndrBr3d

Anyone gonna Open Source this yet?

Post by WndrBr3d »

Hey folks! It has been a long time but I thought I'd poke my head in and see how things are going.

All I can do is shake my head and laugh at all the legal issues and money grabbing that are happening in this community. ALTHOUGH super interesting, it makes me sad to see that things haven't changed in 30 years.

You want C++ developers to help progress the platform? Open Source it.
You want more community involvement in the development and progression of modules? Open Source it.
You want a larger user base and expose this part of BBS/Computing history to a new generation of users? Open Source it.

This community as a whole as no future unless the folks who are now majority stake owners in all thing MBBS/WG (Quest, DSpain, et al) begin opening up the platforms to welcome in new/younger users who never used BBS systems "back in the day", but find it interesting.

The people who have spent the time and money to "save" MBBS/WG will be the same who seal its fate.

Please, let's start Open Sourcing MBBS/WG and the modules folks use starting now own. Perhaps start slow with one or two, but over time let's work to get it all out there in the open.

It'd be a shame to let MBBS/WG die along with the last generation of those who appreciated it.

ALSO, Happy (coming) New Year! :D
MajorBBS Module Cracker (Ass Cracker)
You can find me on EfNet

frcorey

Re: Anyone gonna Open Source this yet?

Post by frcorey »

WndrBr3d wrote:Hey folks! It has been a long time but I thought I'd poke my head in and see how things are going.

All I can do is shake my head and laugh at all the legal issues and money grabbing that are happening in this community. ALTHOUGH super interesting, it makes me sad to see that things haven't changed in 30 years.

You want more community involvement in the development and progression of modules? Open Source it.
You want a larger user base and expose this part of BBS/Computing history to a new generation of users? Open Source it.

This community as a whole as no future unless the folks who are now majority stake owners in all thing MBBS/WG (Quest, DSpain, et al) begin opening up the platforms to welcome in new/younger users who never used BBS systems "back in the day", but find it interesting.

The people who have spent the time and money to "save" MBBS/WG will be the same who seal its fate.

Please, let's start Open Sourcing MBBS/WG and the modules folks use starting now own. Perhaps start slow with one or two, but over time let's work to get it all out there in the open.

It'd be a shame to let MBBS/WG die along with the last generation of those who appreciated it.

It could also turn into a ton of source code spin offs too. remember what happened to the wwiv source code and others? everyone and thier mothers was knocking out thier own bbs packages. course thou, synchronet is a open source bbs system and I havnt seen a ton of knock offs from that, and it's a full bbs server system.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

frcorey wrote:
It could also turn into a ton of source code spin offs too. remember what happened to the wwiv source code and others? everyone and thier mothers was knocking out thier own bbs packages. course thou, synchronet is a open source bbs system and I havnt seen a ton of knock offs from that, and it's a full bbs server system.
Well I don't know much about the WWIV... but the synchronet software was pretty much ahead of what people wanted, or was actively working on things people would need... so there just wasn't much reason to change the core, people just made add-ons for it through the door system.

Sometimes I think open source is good, sometimes I think it's bad... I'd like to see things move forward but it's hard to get a couple dozen software companies together to just open source all their programs...

I want to see the classic worldgroup I know merged with the facebookish netvillage setup... all rolled into a 64bit package with ip6. :) I forgot to ask santa! Still can't beat the interactivity this software has for chat/games.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

Iceman wrote:
frcorey wrote:
Well I don't know much about the WWIV... but the synchronet software was pretty much ahead of what people wanted, or was actively working on things people would need... so there just wasn't much reason to change the core, people just made add-ons for it through the door system.

Sometimes I think open source is good, sometimes I think it's bad... I'd like to see things move forward but it's hard to get a couple dozen software companies together to just open source all their programs...

I want to see the classic worldgroup I know merged with the facebookish netvillage setup... all rolled into a 64bit package with ip6. :) I forgot to ask santa! Still can't beat the interactivity this software has for chat/games.
well, worldgroup is very complicated too.
years ago I tryed to hire a door game programmer to port one of thier games for my wg 3.2 system. I told them I would buy them whatever they needed for the port. I gave them copies of my wg dev kit and the compilers for it. after a few months I get a email back. they said, not for a 1000.00 a hour would they do it. they said the source was confusing, with varibles having generic names that everyone had to be looked up to see what it did.
also, Rick spent so much on trying to buy all the software, he prolly is not going to just give it out. and netvillage is already forking the code into thier own version now.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

WndrBr3d wrote:Hey folks! It has been a long time but I thought I'd poke my head in and see how things are going.

I see a lot of open source software that is no longer being developed or even worked on. Open source isn't always the answer.

Besides, open sourcing WG, if that happened, doesn't solve the problem ISV modules that are no longer being updated, such as MajorMUD.

WndrBr3d

Post by WndrBr3d »

Toyduck wrote: I see a lot of open source software that is no longer being developed or even worked on. Open source isn't always the answer.

Besides, open sourcing WG, if that happened, doesn't solve the problem ISV modules that are no longer being updated, such as MajorMUD.
I think you missed my point. It's the issue of us going through ANOTHER round of lost ISV's when the new IP holders get bored and go missing. Free it up to let the internet care for it, versus it rotting away on a floppy disk in someone's garage.
MajorBBS Module Cracker (Ass Cracker)
You can find me on EfNet

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

WndrBr3d wrote:
Toyduck wrote: I see a lot of open source software that is no longer being developed or even worked on. Open source isn't always the answer.

I think you missed my point. It's the issue of us going through ANOTHER round of lost ISV's when the new IP holders get bored and go missing. Free it up to let the internet care for it, versus it rotting away on a floppy disk in someone's garage.
well, I dont know about open source,
but rick will give anyone interested in making addons the developer sdk. which would be a small running system and the source code for it.
it's not like he is locking up the source code.
mostly the only code not availble to anyone is the line count and license code maker source code.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

frcorey wrote:
WndrBr3d wrote:

but rick will give anyone interested in making addons the developer sdk. which would be a small running system and the source code for it.
mostly the only code not availble to anyone is the line count and license code maker source code.
Exactly; Open source developers usually get bored or tired sooner than not, particularly if they/them need to earn an income, since most open source is done on donated time.

dspain

Post by dspain »

for the sake of what WG is now its fine, its a hobby bbs platform for people to play games on and lets face it WG games beat turn based door games hands down.
I know gcomm never intended it to become a hobbyist genre but that is where it is and in all regards WG is open source in its own right, you can take the source and modify it however you see fit and Rick nor Nate has ever stopped a developer from bettering the product, only thing you may not modify are the core libraries that make wg what it is.

Want to update the tcp/ip stuff and go all new then get the sources from WGDEV\SRC\ICSRC and do it i just redid the entire SMTP collection and am working with NV on a signup verification system, WG was one of the very first huge programs to allow such modifications to be done and released all the sources to do so.

so the tools are there for any developer to pick it up and have fun with it.

i should know i get 5-6 emails a day on sysops wanting this done and that done 90% of all money i make from wg now is simple porting/customization stuff.

resurrecting the ols ISVs were a bad idea if the products were not gonna be fully supported which i do believe Rick handled rather well he released all the small oens that were fine and didnt release anything he would have to sit down and spend a ton of time to support and fix cause lets face it not everyone has that kind of time.

ME i stick with my own engines, and even on my 2 Tele-Arena projects the IP is owned by Rick but i created my own source for that exact reason, if it crashes i want to know exactly where to go and fix it.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:

anyone rememebr the bbs software that did take the WG code and spin it? it has been done but lets face it there is enough of the wg source out there right now to do whatever you want, a rewrite, a fork, fixes, whatever you want to do you can do.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:
frcorey wrote:

ipv6b is being worked on, 64bit was kicked around with a complete rewrite talked about over drinks, my intent it to replace the entire btrieve system with sqlite i already got 14 core modules running only sqlite

tcp/ip functionality is what i am most focused on outside of my Tele-Arena REBORN addon.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:
Iceman wrote:
frcorey wrote:

well, worldgroup is very complicated too.
years ago I tryed to hire a door game programmer to port one of thier games for my wg 3.2 system. I told them I would buy them whatever they needed for the port. I gave them copies of my wg dev kit and the compilers for it. after a few months I get a email back. they said, not for a 1000.00 a hour would they do it. they said the source was confusing, with varibles having generic names that everyone had to be looked up to see what it did.
also, Rick spent so much on trying to buy all the software, he prolly is not going to just give it out. and netvillage is already forking the code into thier own version now.
what confused em is all in one central place GCTYPDEF.H

what door game? im curious because i have like 5 or 6 door game sources i am working into wg modules very soon including some very old pascal based wwiv only games.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Toyduck wrote:

I see a lot of open source software that is no longer being developed or even worked on. Open source isn't always the answer.

agreed, alot of people just want sources so they can "write their own" you know my take on that, want to see a new Tele-Arena, write your own, just as i did, and also got a majormud sysop talkign to me about redoing that for wg, addons do not need to be open sourced when so many of them can be rewritten EASILY, and 90% of the entire WG functionality can be redone with the code provided in the dev kits.

dspain

Post by dspain »

WndrBr3d wrote:

thats just it though most the big ISVS from back then still want 4-5 figures, i spoke with someone whom i will not name but they told me that for the small price of 19k i could get all 6 sources, and 19k was a very small price to pay for something that made them well over 200k.

some people are still stuck in the 80's and 90's but to be honest i wuld prefer to write my own version of whatever addon is missing/broken/incompatible than to look through someone elses code and try to find where it breaks.

and the funny thing is 19k is nothing i am not even worried about making alot of money back, its the principal that you're gonna come at me with a figure like 19k for something you know im not gonna make more than 1k back on.

then tghe only problem you run into is copyright violations, how many of em care? its a gamble.

GE did open source their addon, which i quickly ported to my own addon usign sqlite, and it was very convenient, but not all of em will follow.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:
WndrBr3d wrote:

or the GSBL which the nt flavor is a c port which is in no way even clsoe to as fast as its ASM cousin.

so much can be done with what is already there, trust me i know i do it every day i want to say im one of the only developers if not one of the very few.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Toyduck wrote:
frcorey wrote:
WndrBr3d wrote: I think you missed my point. It's the issue of us going through ANOTHER round of lost ISV's when the new IP holders get bored and go missing. Free it up to let the internet care for it, versus it rotting away on a floppy disk in someone's garage.
Exactly; Open source developers usually get bored or tired sooner than not, particularly if they/them need to earn an income, since most open source is done on donated time.
well honestly it would be faster to write you own bsb software than to even try to "fix" wg up like synchronet is.

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

I agree with Dspain.

I to have tried to purchase some of the source codes and ran into people asking high dollar amounts still for software you will not make any money on, let alone have a great deal of people enjoy it.

It does seem that people that hold on the the software, do not do anything with it, yet are still stuck in the 80's and 90's on the pricing of it. When a great deal of people try to purchase it, they are told that it can no longer be purchased and the owner will no longer let it be purchased or supports it. However, when you go at it alone to use it, you run into the same people waving the "Copyright" issue.

IT has shifted into the hobbyist phase. I do believe in open source, but with so much greed, maybe it is best to just go at it alone or rewrite a new one from scratch.

I for one am for one tired of hearing about Copyrights, I been running HR for over ten years now and truly enjoy this hobby, but refuse to sink another dime into a hobby that has no monetary reward. I recently started doing the unimaginable to. I had to make a donation page. It is costing almost 150 a month for internet alone to run the board on a 60 meg connection. The cable company raised the price of my connection by 30 bucks a month, With a user base between 60 and 80 24/7. I do everything I do for free, built a powerful server to host the board, its new Web Page, the Radio Station and Email Sever for my users, all of which is free. After ten years, I can honestly say I have well over 10 grand invested in a hobby in which I have made absolutely nothing on.

When I hear Copyrights and people saying hobbyist are making money off of this 20 to 30 year old software, it irritates me, because I know most of us are in the red and enjoying it is the only thing that keeps us going, despite how much it is costing us.

I would like to start seeing open source software, but do not think it will ever happen, because those who own and or write a great deal of the software are so out of touch of how this hobby has cost the people who actually run free populated boards.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote: agreed, alot of people just want sources so they can "write their own" you know my take on that, want to see a new Tele-Arena, write your own, just as i did, and also got a majormud sysop talkign to me about redoing that for wg, addons do not need to be open sourced when so many of them can be rewritten EASILY, and 90% of the entire WG functionality can be redone with the code provided in the dev kits.
If you ever get to the changing the worldgroup 256-user I'm in lol.

I think you're the one I see creating an extension of life on this hobby really... the ip6 attention will be the one thing that keeps this hobby going in the very near future... I suspect many systems will just drop off overnight once ip6 is forced upon them with no ip4 fallback...

people can always install a VM of some sort to run an old OS to launch worldgroup from, not as desirable as being 64bit, but unlike ip6 forced upon you from your provider, you can still load worldgroup some way... although I think a 64bit WG would bring in the new hobby bbs'er who lets face it has no clue what they are doing and need it to just work right away to get their feet wet.

MajorMUD rewritten I think would get many more involved since that seems to be all I see out there for the bulk of system use (granted I am a little biased here)... I can only imagine what having a new database for that program along with all the bugs fixed, exp rollover, map limits, level limits, all sorts of things they always imagined a next module would add... (yeah I'm pretty much biased to want to keep my mud growing heh)

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

I fixed the limit problem in my release of the 1.oox release of the Majormud DLL. There is no limits on that anymore. I went through the entire DLL fixed all of that.

A lot of boards are running the 1.00x now. I did it with Metor's knowledge and even sent them a copy of the update.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:
dspain wrote: agreed, alot of people just want sources so they can "write their own" you know my take on that, want to see a new Tele-Arena, write your own, just as i did, and also got a majormud sysop talkign to me about redoing that for wg, addons do not need to be open sourced when so many of them can be rewritten EASILY, and 90% of the entire WG functionality can be redone with the code provided in the dev kits.
If you ever get to the changing the worldgroup 256-user I'm in lol.

I think you're the one I see creating an extension of life on this hobby really... the ip6 attention will be the one thing that keeps this hobby going in the very near future... I suspect many systems will just drop off overnight once ip6 is forced upon them with no ip4 fallback...

people can always install a VM of some sort to run an old OS to launch worldgroup from, not as desirable as being 64bit, but unlike ip6 forced upon you from your provider, you can still load worldgroup some way... although I think a 64bit WG would bring in the new hobby bbs'er who lets face it has no clue what they are doing and need it to just work right away to get their feet wet.

MajorMUD rewritten I think would get many more involved since that seems to be all I see out there for the bulk of system use (granted I am a little biased here)... I can only imagine what having a new database for that program along with all the bugs fixed, exp rollover, map limits, level limits, all sorts of things they always imagined a next module would add... (yeah I'm pretty much biased to want to keep my mud growing heh)
jusy like i did with TA i woud basically make my own source in its image which allows me to fix any bugs/issues as i get into it.

problem is would i find ant resistence from metro? thats the only thing.

if you know a few people that know the game and would be willing to help
i could start it up and if anything it would be fun recreating the game
and give some people something to do in their spare time.

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

I did not get any Resistance from Metro. However, they will not lend support to anyone running the 1.01x DLL. However, they are fully aware of the update I did and have a copy of it.

dspain

Post by dspain »

SouthernCross wrote:I did not get any Resistance from Metro. However, they will not lend support to anyone running the 1.01x DLL. However, they are fully aware of the update I did and have a copy of it.
]]

what update? im referring to writing my own major mud engine and dumping btrieve and using my sqlite engine for speed, and starting at zero and recreating the game.

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

OH!! LOL!

Last communication I had with them was during my offer to buy it from them. I was in the final steps of purchasing when another group moved in and slandered me, which prevented the purchase. After that I had no more communication with them.

I was told that they would not pursue people, but will not lend support to anything edited or else; which is understandable.

Shannon left the project 6 years ago and no longer works for Metro/Multi.

The owner of Multi-Service is the owner of the Source Code.

To my understanding, no one is working on the project or lending support to it. As far as I know, we are have to do it alone. They did state that they will pursue legal action against anyone making a knock off or similar that make money off it. As long as you do not do it to make money or has anything that resembles MMUD in it, it is good.

dspain

Post by dspain »

SouthernCross wrote:OH!! LOL!

Last communication I had with them was during my offer to buy it from them. I was in the final steps of purchasing when another group moved in and slandered me, which prevented the purchase. After that I had no more communication with them.

I was told that they would not pursue people, but will not lend support to anything edited or else; which is understandable.

Shannon left the project 6 years ago and no longer works for Metro/Multi.

The owner of Multi-Service is the owner of the Source Code.

To my understanding, no one is working on the project or lending support to it. As far as I know, we are have to do it alone. They did state that they will pursue legal action against anyone making a knock off or similar that make money off it. As long as you do not do it to make money or has anything that resembles MMUD in it, it is good.
well my intent is to remake the game with my own engine and source, and bit replicate their bugs or laggy subsystems.

i knew of the buyouts and the failed sales, i am almost willing to bet they are done with it but didnt get any offers they felt were worthy.

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

I offered 20K, was told it was not enough, than went up another 5. I had the money at the time to do it, but don't now.

Yeah, there is another group out there that intend to make money off of another engine they built for it. They are the same group that prevented me from buying it.

I do believe, although I could not find the email. Multi-serve wants around 40k for it.

dspain

Post by dspain »

SouthernCross wrote:I offered 20K, was told it was not enough, than went up another 5. I had the money at the time to do it, but don't now.

Yeah, there is another group out there that intend to make money off of another engine they built for it. They are the same group that prevented me from buying it.

I do believe, although I could not find the email. Multi-serve wants around 40k for it.
the other group was from entconn, they thought for sure they had it but the terms got changed or something, 40k sounds right, i know someone from there whom does not want to be named and they said the same thing, they are intentionally asking a huge price so noone will buy it b/c they dont want to support it and have been threatened several times by other sysops for failing to fix issues that crash their server.

i'm gonna write my own and if they dont like it they can contact me if they dont care even better.

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

Yep, that was them. I did not want to point out to them directly.

They kept doing the same thing to me, changing the terms. when I found out they was offered 10K I offered 20K. They said was not enough and than raised it 5 more.

Than I got a cryptic email, After that, we have not had any contact.

I do remember they wanted 40K, at least that is what they said in one of the final emails. It took me years to fix all those problems that caused crashes and another 2 to redo the DLL.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

SouthernCross wrote:I fixed the limit problem in my release of the 1.oox release of the Majormud DLL. There is no limits on that anymore. I went through the entire DLL fixed all of that.

A lot of boards are running the 1.00x now. I did it with Metor's knowledge and even sent them a copy of the update.
Is this 1.00x version in any way compatible with the 1.11p metro last let out?

How does this version handle 220 users in the game at once heh, if you logon to my system, you can see we lose the entire bottom quarter of users in the "who" list of the game, lack of buffer size in majormud I dunno its my only guess...

I've been looking for something "fixed" but I don't want to rollback to something older and lose everything we have.

Not that I've had a lack of stability I guess with 1.11p, we haven't had a crash since 2010 when a corrupt map file went bananas and I had to replace it... but I'm always looking at this point for something that offers any future flexibility and reliability...

available for download with information on whats changed someplace?

SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

completely compatible, its unlimited check and made it able for owners of boards to do major internal changes to the dll as well.