Tele-Arena

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

dspain

Tele-Arena

Post by dspain »

ok so while awaiting Rick to return i have made a couple options.

option #1: Tele-Arena addon for WG (both 2.0 and NT)

option #2: Tele-Arena standalone server

this will allow sysops to purchase, download, and install a module onto their current system or would allow a user to purchase, download, and install a game sevrer on their computer without the need for bbs software.

i am covering both options because i see the interest in running a bbs dwindle yet i see the interest in some games live on so i figure a standalone server would allow people to run it lightweight and in the background on any pc in the house.

i have placed the newest build of the Tele-Arena WGNT module on arcticzone.dyndns.org so sysops can go have a look at it or even play it a bit.

the standalone is written in c++ and comes in both an x86 or x64 variant with ipv6 capabilities, an email verification system, built in listserver for news and info to be shared among your users, an in game messaging system, and a light http server for hosting basic info about the game.

there will be a code google page but the source will not be made available.

seems Ether has been online for years now with no issues so i am gonna do it in C until Rick says it cannot be done.

frcorey

Re: Tele-Arena

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:ok so while awaiting Rick to return i have made a couple options.

this will allow sysops to purchase, download, and install a module onto their current system or would allow a user to purchase, download, and install a game sevrer on their computer without the need for bbs software.

i am covering both options because i see the interest in running a bbs dwindle yet i see the interest in some games live on so i figure a standalone server would allow people to run it lightweight and in the background on any pc in the house.

i have placed the newest build of the Tele-Arena WGNT module on arcticzone.dyndns.org so sysops can go have a look at it or even play it a bit.

the standalone is written in c++ and comes in both an x86 or x64 variant with ipv6 capabilities, an email verification system, built in listserver for news and info to be shared among your users, an in game messaging system, and a light http server for hosting basic info about the game.

seems Ether has been online for years now with no issues so i am gonna do it in C until Rick says it cannot be done.
nice. I would like the server version.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:

yeah that has gained more attention than the wg addon.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote:

yeah dedecated games serveers are hot now.
I played with Ether for a while too. but he never did a editor for it, so you are stuck with the stock world. geez, I'd even like the TA world on a regular mud engine. like rom or smaug or something.
but it's the world that rick owns. i.e. the story line. what happend to that major mud server someone was working on? I wonder if metro would chase a knockoff.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:
dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote: nice. I would like the server version.
I played with Ether for a while too. but he never did a editor for it, so you are stuck with the stock world. geez, I'd even like the TA world on a regular mud engine. like rom or smaug or something.
but it's the world that rick owns. i.e. the story line. what happend to that major mud server someone was working on? I wonder if metro would chase a knockoff.
not stuck with the stock world too lazy to make a new one, i actually put together a story, created on paper a brand new world, new races, new classes, etc.... and was gonna collaberate with Rick to release Tele-Arena III: The Aftermath in which a cataclysmic event wiped out the old world storms, shit like that, and everyone wakes up on the outer skirts of the deep forest in a small encampment, where you begin your adventuring and eventually get to larger cities, etc... unlike original Ta it had more of an RPG element to it where you not only level your character, but level weapon skills, level schools of magic, crafting skills, etc...

world was enormous, not just 1 area per level bracket, like 5-6 different options per level bracket. and if you wanted to you could practice dual classing so if you're a warrior you may choose to also train as an acolyte and when you promote you become a Paladin, or if you remained sticking with one class you became a knight, etc...

single classes level faster and gain more abilities where dual classes split the exp between both classes and level slower but once you put in the time some of the combos were quite lethal.

it was a great game on paper, would have taken off nicely 4 years ago when i pitched it.

but my new standalone and Wg module are highly customizable with no more crash commands.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote: the standalone is written in c++ and comes in both an x86 or x64 variant with ipv6 capabilities, an email verification system, built in listserver for news and info to be shared among your users, an in game messaging system, and a light http server for hosting basic info about the game.

Where could one get the x64 server to try out... will an email verification be needed or just an option?

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:
dspain wrote: the standalone is written in c++ and comes in both an x86 or x64 variant with ipv6 capabilities, an email verification system, built in listserver for news and info to be shared among your users, an in game messaging system, and a light http server for hosting basic info about the game.

Where could one get the x64 server to try out... will an email verification be needed or just an option?
completely optional, open file Server.cfg and set the email verify option to 0
which is how it comes default anyhow.

i am gonna compile a new x64 build sometime this week, im finishing up the x86 build in the next 2 days.

you talking abput the x64 for win or osx?

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote: i am gonna compile a new x64 build sometime this week, im finishing up the x86 build in the next 2 days.

for windows... looking to run it next to worldgroup, heh 3 telnet servers on one machine... I've got a feeling I'm going to need the telnet server update so worldgroup doesn't bind all telnet on the ip to itself... with a dual nic I was able to quickly just put TWGS on its own ip/nic.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:
dspain wrote: i am gonna compile a new x64 build sometime this week, im finishing up the x86 build in the next 2 days.

for windows... looking to run it next to worldgroup, heh 3 telnet servers on one machine... I've got a feeling I'm going to need the telnet server update so worldgroup doesn't bind all telnet on the ip to itself... with a dual nic I was able to quickly just put TWGS on its own ip/nic.
ok cool, Arena-Win32-x86 comes off the press first, as it is still compiled using borland c++ 5.5 but 2.0 comes with a x64 compile as well since that version is done using visual studio 10 but the 32bit version does just fine on 64 bit machines, i have 2 instances of it running now, 1 on a x64 windows 7 home premium, and a x64 windows 8 machine, with no issues.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote:
dspain wrote: yeah that has gained more attention than the wg addon.
not stuck with the stock world too lazy to make a new one, i actually put together a story, created on paper a brand new world, new races, new classes, etc.... and was gonna collaberate with Rick to release Tele-Arena III: The Aftermath in which a cataclysmic event wiped out the old world storms, shit like that, and everyone wakes up on the outer skirts of the deep forest in a small encampment, where you begin your adventuring and eventually get to larger cities, etc... unlike original Ta it had more of an RPG element to it where you not only level your character, but level weapon skills, level schools of magic, crafting skills, etc...

world was enormous, not just 1 area per level bracket, like 5-6 different options per level bracket. and if you wanted to you could practice dual classing so if you're a warrior you may choose to also train as an acolyte and when you promote you become a Paladin, or if you remained sticking with one class you became a knight, etc...

single classes level faster and gain more abilities where dual classes split the exp between both classes and level slower but once you put in the time some of the combos were quite lethal.

it was a great game on paper, would have taken off nicely 4 years ago when i pitched it.

but my new standalone and Wg module are highly customizable with no more crash commands.
a whole new world?
that would blow off the old TA world license.
but would that be like making a new game based on the majormud storys?
it would be like I wanted to do with Kyrandia.

dspain

Post by dspain »

frcorey wrote:
dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote: yeah dedecated games serveers are hot now.

a whole new world?
well TA doesn't have a story, that's what i was gonna incorporate into it.
TA was just a general hack and slash game with a teleconference like interface.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote:
dspain wrote: not stuck with the stock world too lazy to make a new one, i actually put together a story, created on paper a brand new world, new races, new classes, etc.... and was gonna collaberate with Rick to release Tele-Arena III: The Aftermath in which a cataclysmic event wiped out the old world storms, shit like that, and everyone wakes up on the outer skirts of the deep forest in a small encampment, where you begin your adventuring and eventually get to larger cities, etc... unlike original Ta it had more of an RPG element to it where you not only level your character, but level weapon skills, level schools of magic, crafting skills, etc...

a whole new world?
Did you ever finish your general MUD engine? Not related to any of the existing MUDs?

dspain

Post by dspain »

Toyduck wrote:
dspain wrote:
frcorey wrote: a whole new world?
Did you ever finish your general MUD engine? Not related to any of the existing MUDs?
i did but not alot of interest in someone wanting to test it.

it was basic with a small town all shops working and a small path to a graveyard and a graveyard where you could fight zombies and skeletons.

added alot of custom systems not found in alot of existng muds for wg like crafting and gathering skills.

the one i tested with was Blacksmithing where you could make your own weapons out of metals found either by mining or killing elementals of that metal type, for the test i put copper elementals in the game that had a 10% chance on death to have 1-3 copper ore on them, you smelt ore into bars, 1 pre per 1 bar, then in town you create the items, copepr dagger, copper mace, copper sword, and copper axe could be made.

was just somethign i was playing with, i personally ran around killing skeletons and zsombies and then over to the elementals an killed them and got sort of bored testing an engine with no feedback.

find me some interest i may resurrect it again.

its just a mud engine in sqlite that sysops can use to create their own game.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

dspain wrote:
Toyduck wrote:
dspain wrote: well TA doesn't have a story, that's what i was gonna incorporate into it.

it was basic with a small town all shops working and a small path to a graveyard and a graveyard where you could fight zombies and skeletons.

added alot of custom systems not found in alot of existng muds for wg like crafting and gathering skills.

the one i tested with was Blacksmithing where you could make your own weapons out of metals found either by mining or killing elementals of that metal type, for the test i put copper elementals in the game that had a 10% chance on death to have 1-3 copper ore on them, you smelt ore into bars, 1 pre per 1 bar, then in town you create the items, copepr dagger, copper mace, copper sword, and copper axe could be made.

was just somethign i was playing with, i personally ran around killing skeletons and zsombies and then over to the elementals an killed them and got sort of bored testing an engine with no feedback.

yeah it's no fun just playing with yourself.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

dspain wrote:
Toyduck wrote:

I am still looking for a complete mud engine I can use to create worlds in. Right now I'm using separate engines (3) using telnet from WG.

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

Toyduck wrote:
dspain wrote:
Toyduck wrote:

I am still looking for a complete mud engine I can use to create worlds in. Right now I'm using separate engines (3) using telnet from WG.
last big rain I had a complete engine in mud.
hmm, had to call a tow truck.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Toyduck wrote:
dspain wrote:
Toyduck wrote:

i can send ya a small one i did and you can check it out.

if will probably fit what you are seeking to do and with sqlite the database is so hackable its not even funny, very easy to add stuff.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

dspain wrote:
Toyduck wrote:
dspain wrote: i did but not alot of interest in someone wanting to test it.

if will probably fit what you are seeking to do and with sqlite the database is so hackable its not even funny, very easy to add stuff.
Sure, I'd be willing to check it out, see what I could do.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Toyduck wrote:
dspain wrote:
Toyduck wrote: I am still looking for a complete mud engine I can use to create worlds in. Right now I'm using separate engines (3) using telnet from WG.

Sure, I'd be willing to check it out, see what I could do.
cool as soon as i finish up the Tradewars II addon ill compile a fresh build.

Toyduck

Post by Toyduck »

cool as soon as i finish up the Tradewars II addon ill compile a fresh build.
Great, say when
:)