Some New Utilities

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

dspain

Some New Utilities

Post by dspain »

Rlogin Client - a modification to the original rlogin client that allows you to specify which port to connect to, this comes in handy when connecting to a door server or twgs server running on alternate ports, ie: /rlogin <where> -p 2002, etc....
also allows you to specify a module name to the rlogin connection so other users will have a better idea where you are, ie: /rlogin -m TradeWars2002 or /rlogin -m DoorServer.
also created 2 text variables so other modules may return the masked module name they are "USRMASK" for the mask of the current user and "OTHMASK" for the mask of the other user.
the new rlogin module has its own built in /# option to take advantage of the new names but any globals packages, etc... not compatible with it you will have to seek out the listing in that modules .MSG file and replace where it shows the user online with one of the above text variables.

Registry - this was long overdue due in part to the fact that the baseline modules created by galacticomm were all for their business model, nothing on the entertainment side of things ever got incorporated into the registry module so i decided to not overhaul the current one but to completely make my own, now this comes with a downside, i do not have the widget packs to compile a c/s version but on the otherhand i do have a terminal and web version available.
with my user registry you can have a max of 26 fields, with each field being completely customizable via level 4 configuration options, you can decide how many fields you want to use as well as the field info itself, from the text, to the length of characters in the answer.

Finger Server - i created a brand new option in the finger server which allows users to have their own custom finger profile, if they do not create a finger profile, it will default to the default one which you can customize what is returned via level 4 configuration.

Finger Server Registry - as mentioned above, this is the registry that will be used when your system is queried with finger requests.

Mudinfo - remember the old mudinfo command? i did something similiar only done over the web like so: mudinfo=Sysop@arcticzone.dyndns.org this will return my majormud character profile in web format.

Tainfo - same as above only used to return ta character info

SMTP - finally we dont need synchronet mail servers to relay our wg mail traffic, i did some work to the core smtp module to send autnentication strings to your own isp server and send the email, since i use comcast i put smtp.comcast.net in the smarthost field, enabled authentication, and put my name@comcast.net in the userid field, and my password in the password field, the module does base64 encoding internally and sends the email.

NNTP - nothing released but making progress getting wg to do news feeds without using 3rd party software, want to do the same with fidonet packets, anyone around that used to do fidonet work in the 90's? let me know.

GCOMMLIB - got a new gcommlib done compiled in visual studio and works great, also got 4 other modules compiled in VS with the same results, i will release these individually as i am comfortable with their results.

Worldlink Trivia - i need a static wl server to work with Ricks is down at times, nate's is down at times, Rick has new guys that show up claiming to be the messiah and gonna get things constant again and then they go away too, want worldlink trivia? i need a server with 100% uptime, Rick if you read this send me the server ill stick it on a 100% dedicated server machine that has hosted my ultima online server for 8 years now and never went offline.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

SMTP

This issss awwwwwesome! so where can we buy or download the stuff?!

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:SMTP

i have a new webhost through godaddy i am gonna put a page up.
the main page is arcticzonebbs.com i will probably just do an arcticzonebbs.com/addons page.

gonna put some forums up too for all my products just trying to see which was to go .... phpbb, smc, etc.....

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote:

the main page is arcticzonebbs.com i will probably just do an arcticzonebbs.com/addons page.

gonna put some forums up too for all my products just trying to see which was to go .... phpbb, smc, etc.....
well let us know when you are ready for downloads, mail has been a serious pain in the butt for eons lol.

dspain

Post by dspain »

Iceman wrote:
dspain wrote:

well let us know when you are ready for downloads, mail has been a serious pain in the butt for eons lol.
how are you currently sending it?
until i wrote this smtp fork i used synchronet as a relay server and it worked good which is how i got the idea to basically turn galsmtp into a relay server.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote:
Iceman wrote:
dspain wrote: i have a new webhost through godaddy i am gonna put a page up.

how are you currently sending it?
until i wrote this smtp fork i used synchronet as a relay server and it worked good which is how i got the idea to basically turn galsmtp into a relay server.
Well over the years a couple different ways... freebsd relaying mail, then synchronet, then no-ip.com as a relay once they required authentication, then using a mail client for just myself after I shut off email abilities for others... I just didn't want to keep running multiple other softwares to "fix" worldgroup, I still run a front-end mailer just to screen spam with MAPS/SURBL servers (spamfilter ISP)... that would be a nice addition to have a built-in MAPS/SURBL server support to screen spam, but I'm certain 99% don't use the email functions, thats more of if people got back to really offering full BBS services with active html email for multiple inbox/outbox/junk etc...

would be nice to go back to having it integrated into worldgroup so I can use "email verification" again to at least get one valid email address to contact folks with or be able to explore the "send password" emails when folks forget because its been so long... especially now that I've shut off new account signups they can't just make new accounts... basically what a modern webpage would be like...

with all the things you've done for some of the dll's... you should have a worldgroup 3.4 release or something... whatever happened to that MajorBBS 7.x beta or whatever version it was that pheedom was running... did that contain any useful updates like this to modernize things? (I can't even connect to the system anymore)

I think it'd almost be nice to go back to a MajorBBS naming since there is the confusion with various worldgroup releases not under rick's control (the 4.0 and the netvillage ones)... having a new MajorBBS version could just say pick a windows platform direction going forward so it just all works the same (plus MajorBBS was kind of the iconic image, not worldgroup)... instead of having to get the dos or nt version of a module which most won't work anyhow, at least with a new single platform release you could have a list of what exactly works and will for a long time to come... random babbling and thinking here now.