Putting up my BBS again

Major BBS or Worldgroup - get and give support here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

nitromike2006

Putting up my BBS again

Post by nitromike2006 »

Greetings:

I really very much want to relaunch my BBS (The Electronic Oblivion or TEOBBS) here in Kansas City, Missouri. It was a RemoteAccess BBS when it was running and I was looking to moving to Major at that time.

What would be great is if I can get a full version copy of MajorBBS 6.25 with Internet Connectivity (to use Telnet). There are programs out there like EleBBS (which is basically RA Pro) and Syncronet BBS (which will allow emulation of Major) but I really would like to run the real thing.

If someone can provide the proper disks and the manual please PMAIL me on this system.

I will be willing to pay Shipping at least, but the project is more or less for a museum that I am working on where the history of the Internet in interactive format would be available and the BBS of course for prosperity.

Thanks for any help in obtaining the software.

Mike

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

I think you're going to be out of luck, if you didn't previously own a copy before, unless you just find someone that's willing to get rid of a copy, or find a hmmxphered copy somewhere.

There use to be copies that sold on ebay, but there probably hasn't been one sold there in over a year. Many of the sysops probably threw the software away thinking it was no good any more.

Good luck

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

I got a "hammer" for tcp 210, if you want it.

nitromike2006

MajorBBS Software

Post by nitromike2006 »

@Malakai

I am aware that it will be hard to find the software, this is why I posted here and at vintage computers (another site).

Hopefully someone will be willing to part with the software if they have it for a good cause like I explained. I am not sure how much I am willing to pay to obtain a copy, but I certainly am not above buying it.

@everyone

Above being said, I would really like to use MajorBBS for my project and I hope someone out there has it and would consider "donating" it or selling it to me (just shoot me what you want to charge) and I will still also pay Shipping in any event.

Hacked copies would be okay at this point but I would prefer the original full version and internet add on package. If you don't have the BBS or the add on together, no worries, take them separately as well :-)

Thanks for your help!

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Well, if you find some one that's willing to give you a copy of mbbs or wg2, the ICO (internet connectivity option) is freeware now, or if you want to use major tcp/ip, it's $600 from vircom :/

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@Malakai

Where is the ICO available then? I would be interested.

Thanks,

Mike

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

telnet: nostalgiabbs.servebbs.net
file library: sysopflz
filename(s): galico.zip and galico2.zip

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@Malakai

Tried to get the files from the bbs you specified, but I can not download them as I don't have a full terminal package on my machine.

Is it possible you could email the zips to me.

I have PMAIL'd my address.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

thanks to malakai, I have the ICO for Major now. Still need to find full version floppies or copies of them would be fine.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

It appears that the copy of the ICO that I downloaded is corrupt for the first file. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks,

Mike

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

n/m
Last edited by Malakai on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@malakai

The first zip file returns an unable to read file error no matter what unzip file I am using. Tried 7zip and the built in windows unzip utility. Did not try pkunzip, but it acts like the file is corrupt.

Therefore, I am looking for an alternate site to download the files.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

That is strange, indeed. Good luck.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@malakai

Yep a bunch of files have bad CRCs and one says something about bad headers using Pkunzip.

@everyone

Would like to find alternate means of getting MBBS online with Telent and Internet.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Well, I found out what the problem was. I only unzipped the directory itself (did a file listing on both win xp and worldgroup) and every thing appeared to be fine, but when I actually went to extract all of the files, it does show the corrupt message.

So, I went to my other place, to find my original version, unzipped it, and sure enough, it was messed up too. I never had to test it, because I was using major tcp/ip in DOS, and worldgroup 3.x nt has its own built-in internet connectivity.

So, the new file I got from dan, and I see there is a bit of a size difference in it. It's been checked and extracted and seems to be ok.

My main concern was that my new scsi hard drive wasn't already corrupting data heh..

I apologize for that. It's now fixed if you want to try again lol.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@malakai

I will try to download them again then.

also, how do you setup the ICO with MBBS?

You can email me a step by step to my regular email if you like.

Thanks,

MIke

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

I've never used ICO, or I would have found that corrupt file sooner. I always used Major TCP/IP. ICO = Galacticomm. Major tcp/ip = vircom.

I'm not sure if any one still uses ico.. joe doesn't.. rick doesn't.. everyone else I know runs worldgroup nt now.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@malakai

Just a note, the new file worked just fine as far as unzipping was concerned and also, I am running the test drive version of MBBS 6.1d on Dos 6.22 and want to configure it to accept Telnet connections. Is there anything more I need than than the ICO? And again (as in my last post) need to know how to go about installing the ICO on the DOS version and would really appreciate a step by step on this.

Thanks,

Mike

BTW: No worries on the old file -- someone has to to tell someone there is a problem before it can be fixed :-)

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

this is the only information i was given about ico when the person sent it to me:

*start*
In the root of the zip file you will find the basic ico stuff
(galico.zip)
unzip this in the bbs directory. In the advanced internet folder you
will
find the upgraded internet stuff. After you get the basic stuff working
you
can run the installer that is in the advanced folder.
*end*

Not much info, eh? Had to dig through some old emails to find it..

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@malakai

That is really cryptic considering the two zip files there is no advanced folder or install file in the galico2.zip (or the galico.zip for that matter). I get that you unzip the galico.zip in the bbs folder, but after that it makes no sense what to do to "get the basic stuff working".

Is there a place to download a trial or something of the vicom stuff or something like that.

@everyone

Want to get the ability to telnet into my bbs mainly, is ICO or Vicom the only way? Let me know.

Also if anyone has setup the ICO on MajorBBS 6.21d I would be very interested in how it is done beyond the description given.

Thanks,

Mike

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Before doing anything, make sure you have your packet driver and nw clients installed and working correctly.

Once the files are unzipped, MBBS should automatically pick the mods up and put everything in the config section of the bbs the first time you load up mbbs after unzipping it.

In the config area, you will have to set up stuff like the hostname and probably ip address of the server. You can use a text editor to browse the tcpip.msg and galtntd.msg files to see what kind of config stuff you'll need to setup the hostname, ip, gateway, and telnet server access..

Then, you may have to change some of the modem channels to telnet channels.

That's about all I can add.

Major TCP/IP is also available on my bbs under sysopflz section. I don't think it will work at all with out a registration number though.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

@malakai

Thanks for the lead on the file. I think we can figure something out for the TCP 210. Now if only I can find the full version MBBS files :-)

Actually, I have contacted a couple of sysops that I am friends with that used to run MBBS and hopefully one of them can find the disks.

@everyone

Didn't version 6.25 include Internet connectivity? Or did I read my history wrong on that one?

Anyhow, appreciate all the help!

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

nitromike2006 wrote:@malakai

Thanks for the lead on the file. I think we can figure something out for the TCP 210. Now if only I can find the full version MBBS files :-)

Actually, I have contacted a couple of sysops that I am friends with that used to run MBBS and hopefully one of them can find the disks.

@everyone

Didn't version 6.25 include Internet connectivity? Or did I read my history wrong on that one?

Anyhow, appreciate all the help!
I tryed it on my mbbs 6.25 and only tcpip works from all the moduals. this is with dos 7.0 and a pkt driver for a motherboard PCI netcard.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

thanks all!

Now I am stuck a little. How do you configure the Vircom TCP/IP to work with the MBBS and all.

I of course, have it installed fine. FYI: using DOS 6.22

Currently the BBS is MBBS 6.1 Test Drive
the TCP is 2.10e (Vircom obviously)

I am going to have the NIC installed tomorrow or next week depending on when I get it. It has DOS drivers with the card.

I assume I need to configure the nic to be seen by DOS then what do I need to do to get the TCP up and running?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance, came into TCP/IP well into Windows 3.1 (in fact Win for Workgroups 3.11 was my first networking platform using Trumpet Winsock) however, I have forgotten more configuring TCP under pre-Windows 2000 than I remember ;-)

All the Help is uber-appreciated!

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

yes, the NIC has to be setup and running.
or tcpip won't see it.
go into the configs to setup tcpip.
you will need your network info to do this.

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

Hello All Again:

Ok. I have my NIC configured and the packet driver loading in my autoexec.bat. It is a 3COM 3c905c-txm FYI.

So I need to setup the Vircom TCP stuff now. I basically need a step by step on what files to configure and so on. Also I need to know if I need to setup any other NIC card files other than the packet driver.

Thanks,

Mike

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

Hello Everyone Once Again:

I think I figured out the configuration of the Vircom software... however it appears that the test drive version of Major BBS will not allow configuration of Telnet inside the hardware setup parameters.

So I am back to square one, where I need to obtain the full version of MBBS 6.25 and again I would be glad to pay something for it (if reasonable) or just accept copies of the original disks or some other arrangement.

I appreciate all your help and if you can help me with the MBBS Full Version I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mike

RichInFL

Post by RichInFL »

Mike,

The Vircom software requires an "Activation Code" for it to work. Even if you get it installed, the inbound telnet will not work without an activation code, specific to the registration number of the MBBS system you are running. You will be able to ping your computer and see network traffic, however you will be unable to telnet in. The Audit trail will show that you are listening for "0" telnet connections when you start the system up. Apparently Vircom is not particularly interested in selling Major TCP at this point, though rumor is they will if you throw enough cash their way, and are persistent in your requests.

Rich

frcorey

Post by frcorey »

RichInFL wrote:Mike,

The Vircom software requires an "Activation Code" for it to work. Even if you get it installed, the inbound telnet will not work without an activation code, specific to the registration number of the MBBS system you are running. You will be able to ping your computer and see network traffic, however you will be unable to telnet in. The Audit trail will show that you are listening for "0" telnet connections when you start the system up. Apparently Vircom is not particularly interested in selling Major TCP at this point, though rumor is they will if you throw enough cash their way, and are persistent in your requests.

Rich
yep, make them take 700.00
or get a crack for the telnet. :)

nitromike2006

Post by nitromike2006 »

Everyone:

This thread is SOLVED, but I am having other problems from inside the bbs.

I will be starting a new thread for this discussion though.