WG 1.01 w/ICO 1.x - LAN .vs. Internet issues?

Major BBS or Worldgroup - get and give support here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

RichInFL

WG 1.01 w/ICO 1.x - LAN .vs. Internet issues?

Post by RichInFL »

I got WG 1.01 running with the Version 1 ICO. When I telnet in from within the local LAN it screams. When I telnet in through the T1, or the OC3 it is very bursty, and speeds are much more modem like. Am I missing something in the configuration? I left the MTU at 1500. I tried changing from AUTO to 38400, no noticeable change there. The packet drivers seem to be working, as it works great on the lan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rich

dspain

Re: WG 1.01 w/ICO 1.x - LAN .vs. Internet issues?

Post by dspain »

RichInFL wrote:I got WG 1.01 running with the Version 1 ICO. When I telnet in from within the local LAN it screams. When I telnet in through the T1, or the OC3 it is very bursty, and speeds are much more modem like. Am I missing something in the configuration? I left the MTU at 1500. I tried changing from AUTO to 38400, no noticeable change there. The packet drivers seem to be working, as it works great on the lan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rich
ICO1 was congested anyhow, goto ICO2 or VIRCOM's TCP ICO connectivety

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

I'll tell you one thing I've noticed with wg 3.30nt. When you telnet in to the IP address (as opposed to the local lan address -192.168.x.x) from the same ip address, it seems to create some sort of lag/delay that isn't even there when you telnet from another IP address.

For example, if I use the 192.168.x.x address (local lan) then it is really fast. But when I use the nostalgiabbs.servebbs.net address, which points to my real ip, then it's slow.

I thought when I first put the bbs up that there was a problem. So, I went to a friend's house and tried it, and it was fine. It's almost like worldgroup sees the ip and tries to emulate modem speeds or something.. not sure if it's the same on ico though..

dspain

Post by dspain »

Malakai wrote:I'll tell you one thing I've noticed with wg 3.30nt. When you telnet in to the IP address (as opposed to the local lan address -192.168.x.x) from the same ip address, it seems to create some sort of lag/delay that isn't even there when you telnet from another IP address.

For example, if I use the 192.168.x.x address (local lan) then it is really fast. But when I use the nostalgiabbs.servebbs.net address, which points to my real ip, then it's slow.

I thought when I first put the bbs up that there was a problem. So, I went to a friend's house and tried it, and it was fine. It's almost like worldgroup sees the ip and tries to emulate modem speeds or something.. not sure if it's the same on ico though..
your local lan streams at 100mbs going through the wan you are restricted by dns server polling, and your isp's speed.

Deeter

Post by Deeter »

sure this ain't related to the sackopts bug? i know i had the same problems with 1.01.

Questman

Post by Questman »

DEFINITELY switch to ICO2 - they use an entirely entirely different TCP/IP stack. ICO1 was hosed from day one.