Remote Management

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

noonien

Remote Management

Post by noonien »

I wasn't sure where to post this...

I've noticed a mention of PcAnywhere in a few places and some posts about remotely sysoping a board... I'm currently using a little plug in from http://www.logmein.com

It's VERY fast, 100% free, supports multiple computers, doesn't require any firewall configuration at all (how it manages that, I'm not sure. my firewall is set up correctly, hardware, and working but this little thing still manages to accept a connection with no problem... maybe it's keeping a connection established with the logmein.com servers or something?)

Either way, it works great and it's free. I used it for a bit on a little test board I had up a while back and it supports full screen console mode and such without problems (unless you alt+enter between fullscreen and windowed which sometimes required a re-login because of funny video problems)

cheers!

James

dspain

Re: Remote Management

Post by dspain »

noonien wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this...

I've noticed a mention of PcAnywhere in a few places and some posts about remotely sysoping a board... I'm currently using a little plug in from http://www.logmein.com

It's VERY fast, 100% free, supports multiple computers, doesn't require any firewall configuration at all (how it manages that, I'm not sure. my firewall is set up correctly, hardware, and working but this little thing still manages to accept a connection with no problem... maybe it's keeping a connection established with the logmein.com servers or something?)

Either way, it works great and it's free. I used it for a bit on a little test board I had up a while back and it supports full screen console mode and such without problems (unless you alt+enter between fullscreen and windowed which sometimes required a re-login because of funny video problems)

cheers!

James
interesting. i have pcanywhere i let my gameops access my telearena editor to update the game, but sometimes ya gotta reboot pc if the server has been running too long. ill check it out.

what i really need is a damn kvm switch to go between these 9 pc's
i got a pair of em each on one kvm but hell thats 4 monitors and 4 keyboards and 4 mice, lol

Toyduck

Re: Remote Management

Post by Toyduck »

[quote="dspain]
interesting. i have pcanywhere i let my gameops access my telearena editor to update the game, but sometimes ya gotta reboot pc if the server has been running too long. ill check it out.

what i really need is a damn kvm switch to go between these 9 pc's
i got a pair of em each on one kvm but hell thats 4 monitors and 4 keyboards and 4 mice, lol[/quote]

I use RADMIN (www.radmin.com), costs $35 to register and it's well worth it. Small footprint, allows console control, telnet, ftp, shutdown, restart, and monitoring. You can get a 30 day trial for free. It's at 2.2 now and runs on NT 4, 2000 server and 2003 server.

noonien

Post by noonien »

Im using the logmein.com software right now in place of a kvm. I've got 4 machines hooked up to only power and network (just make sure they boot without a keyboard) and use logmein from another machine across the house to take care of all of them. Furthermore, it runs as an active X app inside of firefox... i wonder if it would work on a linux box running kde or something of the like... havent tried that yet. Either way, it's nice to have all machines out of the way - havent had any problems with logmein yet that needed a reboot.