packet driver

The one that started it all - discuss all versions.

Moderators: Questman, Mod Squad

Morpheus

packet driver

Post by Morpheus »

Would anyone be able to help me with the packet driver portion of WG 2.0? I have found several packet drivers, but there is little to no instructions for their use.
I think it is otherwise working properly, I can log in locally and create accounts. Also, where do Doors go? In synchronet I put in a path address, but I don't see anything like that in WG 2.0

Thanks,
~John

frcorey

Re: packet driver

Post by frcorey »

Morpheus wrote:Would anyone be able to help me with the packet driver portion of WG 2.0? I have found several packet drivers, but there is little to no instructions for their use.
I think it is otherwise working properly, I can log in locally and create accounts. Also, where do Doors go? In synchronet I put in a path address, but I don't see anything like that in WG 2.0

Thanks,
~John
well, mbbs and wg don't use doors really.
they can't shell out like a node based system.
most bbs systems are multi-node.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

As for a packet driver, you have to use one that's available for your network card. So, you have to make sure the network card is DOS-compatible, and make sure you're running in some type of true dos (not a DOS window/prompt.) There are ways to make it run under windows, but it cost money for the special driver, and it's slow as hell.

As for doorgames, you'll have to run some thing like Synchronet on a seperate computer for that, and then use rlogin to go in to it. If you're talking about MODs, as opposed to doors, then you usually just unzip and drop the files in to the main directory, or use the install.bat or what ever the mod has. If in doubt, read the manual.

Depending on the mods, you may then have to add them to your menu. From the worldgroup directory, I believe you type WGSRUNMT and then edit the menu, add your mods, etc to it. You can also add or edit your ansis and asciis, if you want to do some customizing. Otherwise, MBBS will make its own generic menu.

WndrBr3d

Post by WndrBr3d »

Also be aware that WG/MBBS/Vircom didn't work with all packet drivers. For example, Intel's packet driver for the Pro 10/100+ card would not work, where as the 3Com 905b would.
MajorBBS Module Cracker (Ass Cracker)
You can find me on EfNet

ccs

Post by ccs »

WndrBr3d wrote:Also be aware that WG/MBBS/Vircom didn't work with all packet drivers. For example, Intel's packet driver for the Pro 10/100+ card would not work, where as the 3Com 905b would.
I have a few old ISA network cards with drivers around if you need one.
Ihave been able to get most cards to work with MajorTCP. You need to use extra command line augments some times though (irq/address stuff).

Joe
++++++++++++++++++++
Retro BBS Games
Telnet://bbs.retrobbsgames.net
++++++++++++++++++++

Questman

Post by Questman »

All packet drivers (even for many many many cards that didn't include one) are available free on:

http://www.crynwyr.com