Community Comms

A place for new Sysops to meet, discuss their setup and get help.
CORSync

Community Comms

Post by CORSync »

Brand new member here. I just installed the newest build on a windows machine. Things seem to be working ok. I had to pass on the pop3/smtp functions because I already have a system email server running. I am connected to Worldlink.

Question: Other than an irc style chat with other bbs's I'm not seeing any other message conference ability in the bbs. I am probably missing something ( I must be). Can someone explain how to do this, or lead me to a link explaining message conferences.

Thanks so much.

I'm sure more that have come before me are smiling. :-)

Mick

BlaZ

Re: Community Comms

Post by BlaZ »

There are also linked forums. You have to add them yourself and add the echo addresses. See this forum post for more details:

https://www.themajorbbs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=307

CORSync

Post by CORSync »

Absolutely, I have added many of them but there doesen't seem to be any activity. The irc system seems to work alright but other than that, no external activity. I really like GlobalLink so far but I'm looking for activity. I thought by adding a 'Poll' that it would be community-wide but it's only my BBS. There may be a way to accomplish this but so far without the ability to import fsxnet or fidonet, it's a lonely place.

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

CORSync wrote:
> Absolutely, I have added many of them but there doesen't seem to be any
> activity. The irc system seems to work alright but other than that, no
> external activity. I really like GlobalLink so far but I'm looking for
> activity. I thought by adding a 'Poll' that it would be community-wide but
> it's only my BBS. There may be a way to accomplish this but so far without
> the ability to import fsxnet or fidonet, it's a lonely place.

the way i do it is like so...

using a synchronet external rlogin server setup as a door server...

install my rlogin client, setup a "M ... Message Networks" link in the menu tree and have it use Rlogin Client 192.168.0.xxx -dMSGBBS
on the synchronet server create your own menu shell so it only accesses the MESSAGE_SECTION of the bbs
on the synchronet system add whatever message nets you want

now when users select option M (or whatever) it will rlog to your system and they can send/receive message netmail and whatever
just be sure to setup fidonet to use Real Names

i been doing it this way for years. my bbs network consists of 4 hp elite desk mini i5 pcs 1 for the main bbs, 1 for the door server, 1 for the message server, and 1 for the web/php/perl/phpbb windows iis server

when configured correctly it can operate quite seemlessly. if i ever get time ill write up a full doc HOWTO

year and years ago using argus (a tosser like frontdoor) i was able to import/export fidonet, rimenet, and doornet messages into a worldgroup 2.0
system but for the life of me i lost that machine (was a sad day because also lost a major bbs 6.21 master disk) so if you tinker you can hit it if you do not
want to mess around with a secondary server

if you need help writing a command shell for synchronet i can write them in both javascript and baja

CORSync

Post by CORSync »

Thanks Daniel. I work with VM's here but it should work. I'll give it a try. I have Synchro running as my hub now.

Mick

daniel_spain

Post by daniel_spain »

CORSync wrote:
> Thanks Daniel. I work with VM's here but it should work. I'll give it a
> try. I have Synchro running as my hub now.
>
> Mick

yeah so i wrote a full guide YEARS AND YEARS ago cant find it anywhere but basically utilizing a command shell as an external like a door allows
you to offer a "message network" server on the same synchronet system you utilize as a door server. using my rlogin client with the -d option
will rlog to the sync system and enter whatever internal code external you have after the -d option "single text only"
if it is a javascript shell you execite as ?filename if it is a baja shell its done as *filename.
i no longer combine them as i run a synchronet linux server for messages and a synchronet win32 server for doors but i am bulding another bbs network using 4 prodesk mini-pcs and will be combining a wg server, door server, message server, ftp server, and a web server and i will document my
setups. on the synchronet main bbs i wrote a file in like 1995 called eshell or eliteshell or something like that and even though it is outdated
now you can see how i wrote it so each bbs section had its own section of code and removing everything except the :MESSAGE_SECTION form of the
script means when it is executed it will dump them into the message section and allow them to select message areas, conferences, post messages, etc... and then they "exit" it logs them off. if using sync now you're good to go, if anyone reading this is setting up new be sure to edit rlogin.cfg and put the ip address of your bbs server so it will allow rlogin connections without password entry and will utilize auto-logon. per fidonet rules be sure to require first and last names and allow handles because fido required first/last