Former Sysops and BBS's

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

wedgar

Former Sysops and BBS's

Post by wedgar »

I've often wondered about some friends who operated Galacticomm systems and what they're up to today.

Foremost would be Ken Sukimoto from the DownTown BBS.

Is anyone aware of a place I could find out?

- Bill

Questman

Post by Questman »

Sure - the best place to look is BBSMates!

http://www.bbsmates.com

Net's biggest registery/community of BBSes and users!

Welcome to the boards!

schizoid

Re: Former Sysops and BBS's

Post by schizoid »

wedgar wrote:I've often wondered about some friends who operated Galacticomm systems and what they're up to today.

- Bill
Hi,

While I was working on a few of the Worldgroup clients for Mountain Rose, I would chat with Ken frequently (he was the US support site for MR, so we all chatted quite a bit).

After the market dry-up, I spoke to Ken once or twice a year. Unfortunately, I have lost contact with him. His system at dwntwn.com is also unreachable.

Ken is an absolute great guy. Very nice and friendly to everyone... it would be great to hear from him again. If anyone does know his status, please share.

thanks,
--john

wedgar

Post by wedgar »

schizoid wrote:
wedgar wrote:I've often wondered about some friends who operated Galacticomm systems and what they're up to today.

- Bill
Hi,

While I was working on a few of the Worldgroup clients for Mountain Rose, I would chat with Ken frequently (he was the US support site for MR, so we all chatted quite a bit).

After the market dry-up, I spoke to Ken once or twice a year. Unfortunately, I have lost contact with him. His system at dwntwn.com is also unreachable.

Ken is an absolute great guy. Very nice and friendly to everyone... it would be great to hear from him again. If anyone does know his status, please share.

thanks,
--john
John,

My family had a visit out to Los Angeles about 10 years ago and one of our highlights was meeting Ken for dinner. Unfortunately, I've lost his voice number.

Mountain Rose had some great add-ons. Wonder how they are doing also.

- Bill

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

wedgar wrote:
John,

My family had a visit out to Los Angeles about 10 years ago and one of our highlights was meeting Ken for dinner. Unfortunately, I've lost his voice number.

Mountain Rose had some great add-ons. Wonder how they are doing also.

- Bill
I also lost Ken's number, but he usually gave me a call every 6 months or so, just to chat. Last I spoke to him was a couple of years ago (I believe). I haven't heard from Ken in a few years, his BBS and web site are no longer online, and I cannot find any recent info on him on the Internet. I will remain optimistic and believe that Ken is enjoying himself somewhere and hasn't had the opportunity or desire to get back online. I do miss our chats, and hope someone has some information or contact info.

As far as MR goes, Bert, Frans, and I also lost contact after the MBBS/WG market dried up. I worked on a few clients and a few $$ were coming in, but then it completely stopped... almost instantly. Weird.

I know MR was a dedicated ISV and this was Bert's livelyhood, so he had to look at different avenues to develop software for salary once the market died. I am sure he is quite busy, and perhaps he wants to leave the WG days in the past (who knows?), which explains his absense from any WG related forum.

It was a very fun time while it lasted, although I got into it a bit late. I developed for the enjoyment of it, and still do. I am in IT, but do not rely on my developed products to earn a living.

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

- Bill
Just bumping this up a bit... anyone have any info on Ken?
Really interested in finding him again.

thanks

dspain

Post by dspain »

- Bill
yeah thats a good site rick reccomended and im in the process of buying
a sister site owned by talk-city and i intend on converging it over to a majorbbs/wg thingy like bbsmates or classmates.com

ill keep ya informed my attorney should have this sealed by next tuesday
then again you know how them bastards are :)

computerhavok

Post by computerhavok »

dspain wrote:ill keep ya informed my attorney should have this sealed by next tuesday
then again you know how them bastards are :)

Laughing, sounds like we agree on one thing anyway!

:D
If it's not broke, why fix it!

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

schizoid wrote:

- Bill
Just bumping this up a bit... anyone have any info on Ken?
Really interested in finding him again.

thanks
It's been a year without an addition to this thread, so I figured I bump it a bit..

Does anyone know what happened to Ken Sukimoto?

Talonp

Post by Talonp »

Not sure if this is him but you can give it a try;

Sukimoto, Ken
150 Drake St
Pomona, CA 91767
909-596-0809

Lived in these cities before the above address

LOS ANGELES, CA
ALHAMBRA, CA

Hope this helps :)

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

Thanks Talonp,

It's worth a try at least.

Talonp

Post by Talonp »

You are more then welcome my friend :)

How old is Ken now?

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

Talonp wrote:You are more then welcome my friend :)

How old is Ken now?
Not really sure... I know he was a bit older than me.

I would be surprised if one of that search hit is actually Ken, since I would think he would post here or somewhere to talk about the good old days of BBSing. But, you never know...

Talonp

Post by Talonp »

Well the address and number I posted is for a 61 year old man but at the same address there is two other males listed with the same name one with a middle name starting with a Y if I remember right...so if its not him it may be his father.

racedog

Ken Sukimoto

Post by racedog »

Ken had a major accident at his home a few years ago. As some of you may know Ken was already confined to a wheelchair due to a trucking accident back in the 80's. He required a number of surgeries to repair even more damage.

The reason he moved to Pomona was to be near the rehab facility where the surgeries were performed and where he received daily rehab treatments.

Ken and I talked daily for years and were very tight friends. After the accident Ken changed dramatically. He cut off all ties with Cindy, his girlfriend at the time, and he cut off all ties with me after many years of a very tight friendship. I have no clue why, he refused to talk to us.

Since then all I know is that he has moved from Pomona and has nothing at all to do with anyone from his previous BBS life. It has been years since I talked to him and the last couple of times I tried to call him (some years ago) he refused to talk to me. Very sad.

R

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

Thanks for the update...

I believe I recently found him after looking for awhile, but I did not contact him. Ken used to call me every couple of months, and I figured that if he still wanted to talk, he would of called me.

I did not know he had an accident... I am sorry to hear that. Ken is a great guy and I considered him a friend. I hope he is doing ok.

If he wants to chat again, I would love to hear from him.

--john

racedog

Post by racedog »

You wouldn't be John Kovl by any chance would you?

R

schizoid

Post by schizoid »

Nope... my first name is John though. :wink:

I worked on a few Windows clients for Mountain Rose products, and Ken was the support guy. We developed a bit of a friendship at that time.