Sysop Registration

General discussion regarding the project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Pen

Sysop Registration

Post by Pen »

Hi,

I have been contacted by an MBBS sysop from ye olde days who would like to join this forum - but the registration process seems to be disabled.

Is there a solution?

Cheers!

Drex

Post by Drex »

I think Rick has to approve all accounts due to spam, or maybe it is shut off at this time? You can try emailing him
questman (AT) themajorbbs(DOT)com

Wookie8662

Post by Wookie8662 »

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

Drex wrote:I think Rick has to approve all accounts due to spam, or maybe it is shut off at this time? You can try emailing him
questman (AT) themajorbbs(DOT)com
Another user requesting access to the forums here on my bbs Questman.
username= Wickedsun

I have not voice validated. Just forwarding you his request for access.
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

Questman

Post by Questman »

Does anyone know PHP? I'd love to open registration again but the number of SPAM accounts that get through is ridiculous.

Gardner Denver

Post by Gardner Denver »

http://www.stopforumspam.com/contributions

There is a PhpBB plugin available on this site.
www.quest-ware.net
GreaterMUD & MajorMUD Utilities for users and sysops/mudops
http://www.gigamud.com
The NEW Megamud Project by Merlin (Author of MegaMUD)
http://www.greatermud.com
The Future of MajorMUD

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:Does anyone know PHP? I'd love to open registration again but the number of SPAM accounts that get through is ridiculous.
phpbb is open source right? using my email verifier for wgnt have em
create an account on your system and their email code that validated their account can also be used to activate their forum account as i can have
an XML file created that can be accessed by phpbb yourdomain/arcverif/arcverif.xml

or code that feature in altogether, create forum account, have code emailed to ya, enter code for access, and also put like a 48 hour silence on all new accounts that gives em 2 days to browse all the threads get to know who is who by reading and then they can post, most spammers create and post they dont come back.

i would love to have a shared accounting system that would cross between the forums, worldgroup nt demo system, worldgroup 2 demo system, and a master ftp site archive, but thats just wishful thinking.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

dspain wrote:
Questman wrote:Does anyone know PHP? I'd love to open registration again but the number of SPAM accounts that get through is ridiculous.
phpbb is open source right? using my email verifier for wgnt have em
create an account on your system and their email code that validated their account can also be used to activate their forum account as i can have
an XML file created that can be accessed by phpbb yourdomain/arcverif/arcverif.xml

or code that feature in altogether, create forum account, have code emailed to ya, enter code for access, and also put like a 48 hour silence on all new accounts that gives em 2 days to browse all the threads get to know who is who by reading and then they can post, most spammers create and post they dont come back.

i would love to have a shared accounting system that would cross between the forums, worldgroup nt demo system, worldgroup 2 demo system, and a master ftp site archive, but thats just wishful thinking.

I don't suppose you ever got Vircom's RADIUS server did you? Sounds like right up that alley from back in the day.

Stoneslinger76

Post by Stoneslinger76 »

Look's like one spammer got thru Questman.
Stoneslinger
telnet://theswampbbs.net or http://theswampbbs.net

dspain

Post by dspain »

Stoneslinger76 wrote:
Look's like one spammer got thru Questman.
where?

VeNoM

Post by VeNoM »

I know im late to the party but...

You know that phpbb has a ton of anti-spam captcha modules, right? I ran a phpbb along with my bbs, and had a ton of spam. i eliminated most of it with some decent captcha modules.
<VeNoM>
--
SysOp: The Underground BBS

dspain

Post by dspain »

VeNoM wrote:I know im late to the party but...

You know that phpbb has a ton of anti-spam captcha modules, right? I ran a phpbb along with my bbs, and had a ton of spam. i eliminated most of it with some decent captcha modules.
we need to upgrade to phpbb4 while we're at it, or maybe go to vbulletin.

Questman

Post by Questman »

What do you guys think? How do we defeat the spammers but still let legitimate people sign up? I'm open to suggestions, here....

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:What do you guys think? How do we defeat the spammers but still let legitimate people sign up? I'm open to suggestions, here....
upgrade to phpbb4 and use the anti-spam modules.

Questman

Post by Questman »

Dan, do you know if they have an upgrade path from our version?

dspain

Post by dspain »

Questman wrote:Dan, do you know if they have an upgrade path from our version?
i havent done anything phpbb in a while i recently installed xampp 64bit and was gonna play with some mysql stuff a friend of mine is doing for college we just need to go phpbb3 -> phpbb4 right?

Questman

Post by Questman »

Yep!