Old BBS CD-ROMs

Post your requests and suggestions for features, add-ons, etc here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Malakai
Old BBS CD-ROMs

Post by Malakai »

Any one have any of the old shareware BBS CD-ROMs from the dialup days? Night owl series, modem madness, etc and would be interested in putting them in ISO format and offering them (for a limitted time at least) for download?

I have a pretty nice collection of PCBoard items, and a few bbs doors, but I would like to be able to offer my visitors lots more, especially the older DOS, OS/2, and Windows stuff, for those people that just don't want to throw away their 386s and 486s hehe..

I've tried going the route of downloading individual files, and between download limits, the time it takes to manually browse and download, long file names that have to be renamed, and missing file_id.diz's, it's not really worth it.

Let me know,

Mal

dspain

Re: Old BBS CD-ROMs

Post by dspain »

Malakai wrote:Any one have any of the old shareware BBS CD-ROMs from the dialup days? Night owl series, modem madness, etc and would be interested in putting them in ISO format and offering them (for a limitted time at least) for download?

I have a pretty nice collection of PCBoard items, and a few bbs doors, but I would like to be able to offer my visitors lots more, especially the older DOS, OS/2, and Windows stuff, for those people that just don't want to throw away their 386s and 486s hehe..

I've tried going the route of downloading individual files, and between download limits, the time it takes to manually browse and download, long file names that have to be renamed, and missing file_id.diz's, it's not really worth it.

Let me know,

Mal
like night-owl,pier shareware, modem-madness?

Toyduck

Re: Old BBS CD-ROMs

Post by Toyduck »

Malakai wrote:Any one have any of the old shareware BBS CD-ROMs from the dialup days? Night owl series, modem madness, etc and would be interested in putting them in ISO format and offering them (for a limitted time at least) for download?

Let me know,

Mal
I used to be an ASP member and received monthly disks of shareware, both CD and floppys. Would you be interested if I can find them?

Toyduck

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Yes, any thing that had individual games or apps zipped, included a file_id.diz in each zip, and conformed to the 8 character dos file name system worldgroup uses.

I'd like to be able to just download complete ISO files rather than having to download hundreds or thousands of individual files hehe

efgosser

Soo Much Shareware

Post by efgosser »

1.) Night Owl NOPV-10 1993
2.) Night Owl NOPV-15 1995
3.) Monster Media 93 No.1 Jan, Feb, Mar, & Apr
4.) Dr. Communications 1994 This is a Sysops God CD-1
5.) Super online 1993 This is a Sysops God CD-2
6.) Simtel May 1995 Disk 1 and 2
7.) I also have an Old OS2 CD from Walnut Creek CD ROM
8.) Also a Clipart CD from Walnut Creek CD ROM
All BBS Ready

All original CD's
I am also looking for these type of CD's
Like: RBBS-in-A-Box

Do you have somewere for me to sent them to you. IE: FTP
Restore Major BBS

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

I sent you a PM with information on how to ftp to my system. Let me know if you have any trouble uploading the files. Thanks!

Ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon »

funny. modem madness was the first bbs i played on locally :)
Free MajorMUD
[url=telnet://quicksilverbbs.com/]Telnet to Quicksilver BBS[/url]
Running 3 versions of MajorMUD
WG3.30 with Pervasive SQL Database

efgosser

Post by efgosser »

It will be a couple of days have to iso them then take to work to upload. I am in the country and only have Satalite so my DL is 1.5 but up is like 56k :cry:
Restore Major BBS

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

No problem..

Kaboom

Re: Soo Much Shareware

Post by Kaboom »

[quote="efgosser"]1.) Night Owl NOPV-10 1993
2.) Night Owl NOPV-15 1995
3.) Monster Media 93 No.1 Jan, Feb, Mar, & Apr
4.) Dr. Communications 1994 This is a Sysops God CD-1
5.) Super online 1993 This is a Sysops God CD-2
6.) Simtel May 1995 Disk 1 and 2
7.) I also have an Old OS2 CD from Walnut Creek CD ROM
8.) Also a Clipart CD from Walnut Creek CD ROM
All BBS Ready

All original CD's
I am also looking for these type of CD's
Like: RBBS-in-A-Box

I have almost the entire Night Owl Collection along with the first share release ever on Cdrom that I know of it's called "Gigabyte" if I remember correctly (I'll put it on BBSing.com) Some time when my funeral quest game calms down for anyone to rip if you want the cdroms.

I also have the pier collection

-Kaboom

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

That'd be great too.

I checked out your bbs. I like the ansi screens.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom »

Malakai wrote:That'd be great too.

Thanks - was going to do more stuff on there but for the most
part I took a break from messing with it one of these days I'll
reset card sharks (I used to have that game way back I can't
remember for the life of me how to reset it, probably just delete
the damn text file or ansi file or some crazyness). One of these
I'll poke around and figure it.

I kicked it's butt though like I used to that was kinda funny playing
that game again.

Good memories anyways...

dspain

Post by dspain »

Kaboom wrote:
Malakai wrote:That'd be great too.

Thanks - was going to do more stuff on there but for the most
part I took a break from messing with it one of these days I'll
reset card sharks (I used to have that game way back I can't
remember for the life of me how to reset it, probably just delete
the damn text file or ansi file or some crazyness). One of these
I'll poke around and figure it.

I kicked it's butt though like I used to that was kinda funny playing
that game again.

Good memories anyways...
delete the .DAT file and copy the VIR file to .DAT

RichInFL

Post by RichInFL »

I just happen to be cleaning the office and ran across the following just about an hour ago...

Simtel 20 MS-Dos Archive May 1993
CICA MS-Windows Archive April 1993
Night Owl's CD (not sure which one, it's in the office, I'm not)
Phoenix Shareware CD Version 3.0
Simtel 20 MS-Dos Archive June 1992

If any of those would be of interest let me know. I'll ISO them and stick them where you can get them...

Rich

PS: I admit it, I am powerless over my packratism, my office has become unmangeable.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Any of those would be great.. Just let us know where to get them when they're ready. I've been trying to get some stuff off of archives.thebbs.org, but they appear to be having some major server problems.. 9 times out of ten, you can't get to download any of their files, and then it's hit or miss if they have the file on their servers still or not... I don't see any news page on their site saying much about it, nor an email link to tell/ask them about it... it's possible they don't even know there are problems.

RichInFL

Post by RichInFL »

I'll post when they are ISO'd and available for download, with details... likely be Monday or Tuesday (the 12th or 13th).

Rich

RichInFL

Post by RichInFL »

I just posted the last of the CD's. I was able to ISO all but the America's Premier Shareware For 1993 CD. For some reason I can't read it on my laptop. I will try it on another computer later, if I can get it read I'll post that ISO too. I sent you the links to download them via Private Message. If anyone else wants a copy let me know and I will provide them with the download information. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to post that much data for the world to all download...

Rich

dspain

Post by dspain »

RichInFL wrote:I just posted the last of the CD's. I was able to ISO all but the America's Premier Shareware For 1993 CD. For some reason I can't read it on my laptop. I will try it on another computer later, if I can get it read I'll post that ISO too. I sent you the links to download them via Private Message. If anyone else wants a copy let me know and I will provide them with the download information. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to post that much data for the world to all download...

Rich
upload anything ya want on my site, if ya need file directories created for specific file types let me know.

ii just updated my site to an SATA 200gb drive, wg files began to get bigger, lol

RichInFL

Post by RichInFL »

Guess I should take a look at your BBS.

I know what you mean about file size creep... I just bought a terabyte eSATA external raid drive. I am using it to make image copies of all of my old floppies (3.5 & 5 1/4) as well as images of my old backup tapes.

I have been finding old memories... and old nightmares... things like the Ergo Computing OS/286 developers kit and the GALUP module loader from back in the MBBS 5.X days as memory serves me. Stacks of old Borland C/C++ disks. Found the phar-lap lite dos extender, but haven't seen the full version phar-lap dos extender yet. I have a hard drive with the full development system on it for MBBS 6.x, its an old 500MB IDE drive.

Ran across a 40Mbyte MFM hard drive, that says it has MBBS 4 on it. I really am one of the penultimate "Pack Rats" it would seem...

Rich

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Alrighty. I believe I'm all done with the ISOs now, unless you run across any more later. Thanks for the help. I see a lot of interesting files on there that would probably be hard to find one-by-one doing net searches hehe..

RichInFL

Post by RichInFL »

Cool! Glad they can be of use.

Somewhere I have backups of my old file libraries which had tons of vintage stuff from the late 80's through the mid 90's.

If I run across that or any other CD's I'll be sure to let you know.

In the meantime I'm a packrat, so any and all MBBS related modules/source/etc is always welcome in my collective hive if you or anyone wants to drop some my way.

Rich

dspain

Post by dspain »

RichInFL wrote:Guess I should take a look at your BBS.

I know what you mean about file size creep... I just bought a terabyte eSATA external raid drive. I am using it to make image copies of all of my old floppies (3.5 & 5 1/4) as well as images of my old backup tapes.

I have been finding old memories... and old nightmares... things like the Ergo Computing OS/286 developers kit and the GALUP module loader from back in the MBBS 5.X days as memory serves me. Stacks of old Borland C/C++ disks. Found the phar-lap lite dos extender, but haven't seen the full version phar-lap dos extender yet. I have a hard drive with the full development system on it for MBBS 6.x, its an old 500MB IDE drive.

Ran across a 40Mbyte MFM hard drive, that says it has MBBS 4 on it. I really am one of the penultimate "Pack Rats" it would seem...

Rich
i got the full plap sdk if ya need it. i am missing mbbs v4 and v5 if ya got it.
regarding mbbs 6.0 i got the sdk but not the install if ya got that too.

Malakai
Post by Malakai »

Any one else get any of their ISOs online and ready to download?

sloop

Post by sloop »

Jason Scott (textfiles.com / bbs documentary guy) has put a lot of these CDs online:

http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

enjoy. i contributed 1 cd :D